Reviews tagging Violence

Home Before Dark, by Riley Sager

karlybug's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

this is just a story about bad parenting.

fangsvicious's review against another edition

content warning for murder (including family members killing each other), suicide, violence, snakes

I enjoyed this book more than Lock Every Door! Although I can see the similarities in the types of endings and relationships Riley Sager likes to write, I really enjoyed this cast of characters and setting. A small town with a haunted house and multiple families with tragic histories? Sign me up.

This book is very easy to read and get into, and it did give me "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn vibes in the beginning. As with Lock Every Door, this book has an "expiry date" of when the character will be done with the eerie building, and it was told in an intriguing mashup of passages from the father's book and his daughter's return to the house 25 years later.

Riley chose perfect eras to set these experiences in, because some events that happened in the House of Horrors period would have gone very differently in the future with so much access to information. Although a few plot points ramped up rather suddenly, and I did have some lingering uncertainties at the end, I feel like this book did a good job wrapping up the story with surprising twists that were believable. I audibly GASPED at the end of the...third? fourth?-to-last chapter, and I didn't come away struggling to believe characters' motivations or the events (too much).

All in all, one of my favorite thrillers I've read.

lovelydemons's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

I couldn’t put this book down. I seriously finished this in one sitting because it was incredibly entertaining and attention grabbing. I think it's fair to say that Riley Sager is my favourite contemporary author. I still think that Final Girls is a stronger book however this one is still great.
If you are a fan of the horror genre, especially horror movies, I'm sure you would like it. Even though this book could be considered more of a thriller than a horror, Sager is a master in making you feel the creepy and disturbing setting through imagery. I wouldn't say it is the most terrifying thing I've read but it definitely gave me the creeps.