Reviews tagging Grief

Home Before Dark, by Riley Sager

toofondofbooks_'s review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I don't even know what to say y'all
I don't know what I expected but it wasn't this. This book scared me so much. I'm scared of armoires now. I feel like I can't really talk about this book effectively while still keeping it spoiler free, but I think what I will say is that I did not see the ending coming and I can't tell if I was disappointed by it or not. I opted for the 4 star rating bc of my confusion in relation to that, but overall this was a very immersive and well written book that I think you'll love if you're into horror.

shelfofunread's review against another edition

mysterious tense fast-paced

Having previously read and enjoyed The Last Time I Lied, I was excited to see that Riley Sager’s latest thriller came with some additional spooky stylings. The former novel was packed with growing tension and page-turning plot beats so I was keen to see what the addition of some trademark horror tropes would do to that mix. The answer, it turns out, is to make it even more page-turning – and to provide more than a few ‘sleeping with the lights on’ moments!

Maggie Holt’s life has been defined by The Book – the tell-all memoir that her father Ewan wrote after her family’s fateful stay at Baneberry Hall. According to The Book, the vengeful ghosts of Baneberry Hall drove Ewan, Jess, and five-year-old Maggie away from their dream home, never to return. But after her father’s death, Maggie discovers that her parents never sold Baneberry Hall. Despite being warned to never go back there, Maggie is determined to make the most of her unexpected inheritance – she’s going to renovate and sell her family’s cursed legacy; but not before she gets to the bottom of why her family really fled all those years ago.

When the body of a missing teenager falls out of her kitchen ceiling, however, Maggie gets far more than she bargained for at Baneberry Hall. Could her parents really have been involved in a murder? Or are the strange noises and fleeting shadows of Baneberry Hall really signs of the supernatural? As Maggie starts to delve into the history of her father’s House of Horrors, she finds herself wondering if he was telling the truth about Baneberry Hall all along.

Whilst Home Before Dark continues to showcase Sager’s command of pacing and plotting, it serves up some genuinely spooky and atmospheric moments alongside the more familiar mystery-thriller territory of its main storyline. If you love ghost stories and ‘true life’ tales of the paranormal, you’re sure to love Home Before Dark which alternates between excerpts from Ewan’s Amityville Horror-style memoir and Maggie’s own investigations in the present day.

horizonous's review

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

boo_reads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

This book is so good OMG!! The plot twists keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the book!!! I love that you can't tell which direction the book is going even towards the end 10/10

pagesinthesnow's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

davidrb's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious sad tense slow-paced

Oy vey. Just...not my favorite. Twists weren't fun, story didn't go anywhere...it had some interesting things to say about the lengths that men will go to justify their actions, and then it just didn't use them for anything. But, despite all that, a fun and easy read. Definitely good fodder for this time of year just to get into the mood.

amandalorianxo's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense slow-paced

This is my first Riley Sagar novel and this was definitely one heck of a wild ride! From beginning to end, I was caught up in what really happened at Baneberry Hall. Thankfully, Sagar had written Maggie as a realistic main character, suspicious but still willing to set the record straight as far as how past meet the expectations from her father’s book. I totally did not see the wrap up to end the way it did. While some parts of Ewan’s storytelling seemed to be a little hard to get into at times, the present day understandings and piecing together made up for it. Looking forward to reading more from this author!

chellbear's review against another edition

emotional mysterious fast-paced

house_of_hannah's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

I ended up reading all but the first 50 pages in two days, so I have to say that the story sucked me in, and I did not want to stop reading. This book has alternating chapters between the MC's perspective (Maggie), and a book her father wrote about their experiences in the house when Maggie was 5. This style really complemented the two perspectives, and made for a very enjoyable read.

The book Maggie's father wrote is very much a traditional ghost story, and I was even enjoying it more than Maggie's perspective for a good chunk of the book. It does cross the line into just being silly, so it did start to lose me. The experiences of adult Maggie right away reminded me of a few movies I have seen before, so I was wondering if the book was going to go down that route of horror, which it did in the end. I also ended up guessing another key piece of the plot, so I'd say this is a predictable story if you've seen these sort of twists and turns before. However, I really enjoyed that it felt like I got two stories for the price of one; I'm a sucker for ghost stories.

The ending felt rushed compared to the rest of the book. It was also quite ridiculous, and I just could not believe how many fakeouts there were. It made the end laughable, which is disappointing considering how much I enjoyed the journey to get there.

xoxoannareads's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced