Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman

becs_sw's review against another edition

Good, but somewhat disconnected

I really enjoyed but I think I need to reread to connect the entire story. It needs a timeline and character list; there are so many.

xjinxedx's review

This was a collection of short stories surrounding a house throughout the years. Some stories were cute and some were haunting, while others didn't really leave much of an impression.

lconrad15's review against another edition

There is something about the word choice and tone of this book that was just right. I wish it had followed a family more than the property, but still hit the spot somehow.

24marsha's review against another edition

As someone who understands what it’s like to be committed through generations to the ‘family home’ I loved the connection of 11 stories of all different kinds of joy and sorrow that were tied together by place. I always like when setting is a prominent and important aspect of the story.

judithdcollins's review

Review to follow!

mematilda's review against another edition

inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

The format of this book was perfect for a decades long tale of a small house in a small town. Alice Hoffman does these sorts of stories so well

blbdennis's review against another edition

Somehow Blackbirds became a trope for me this year and when this book popped up written by one of my favorites of Practical Magic fame as well as Turtle moon and her audible exclusive Bookshops sisters, I was all in. This story centers around a house, built in the 1800's near Salem. There is loss and magic built in to this story that introduces us to many different residents of Blackbird house from the 1800's to the 2000's. And Blackbirds are not crows.

katreadingbooks's review against another edition

Blackbird House is a collect stories that span over 200 years. The book begins with a story about the family who built the house and continues to tell about the lives of all the inhabitants of Blackbird House.

Each story has one occurring character, a white blackbird. I think this bird is suppose to be like a spirit watching over the house and all those that live there. There are also plants and a summer kitchen that play a role in all the stories. They become a character of in themselves.

The stories flowed very well. I didn't find myself having to look back to remember the last story because usually there was a character who carried over or the previous family is reference to keep the history of the house in the reader's mind through out the novel.

The only reason for not giving this book 5 stars is because at times the stories dragged on. I was like OK I got it next story please. But for a book I found at the bookstore on the clearance cart I would have to say it was a good buy.

I found the book interesting because every time I moved into a place I could not help but wonder who might have lived here before.I wonder why they put that up there or where they happy here. This book answers those kind of questions for the Blackbird House since it chronicled the lives of the multiple owners of the house.

tatumachristy's review against another edition

i would give anything to live at blackbird house for eternity

amibunk's review against another edition

"Blackbird House" is a collection of short stories which are all set on the same farm off the East Coast. The stories are told chronologically, beginning with the Revolutionary War and ending in the 1990's.
I chose three stars for this book. Alice Hoffman has an incredible, lilting, soaring prose that is definitely 4 star worthy. Many of the stories touched me, and I wished they could have an entire novel dedicated to unfolding and exposing all the characters and their actions. However, there were entire chapters that did nothing to move me and I frankly wondered why they were included.
"Blackbird House" is pleasant and enjoyable. But it is not Hoffman's best work. If you have time on your hands, take the opportunity to read it. Keep in mind though, you will have to search out Hoffman's genious elsewhere.