York: The Map of Stars, by Laura Ruby

pomegranateseedpress's review against another edition

Well that was unsatisfying.

Even the kids when we finished it exclaimed in disbelief, "That's the end of the series? THAT is the end of this book? There just HAS to be more."

Too many unfinished plot lines to me, too many unanswered questions. I was hoping for a neat and tidy ending to all these pieces and people coming together but it felt like a mish-mash rushed ending and after absolutely LOVING the first two books with all our hearts, we feel cheated and heartbroken.

So sad.

Spoiler I mean only Jaime travels in time and after having every perspective shared, she leaves out the perspective of him traveling back in time? This is what we've been gearing up for in all these books and it's just omitted? Why? What happened? How did he change things or did he just jump to an alternate timeline, but without any explanation? And the vague end of Ono, one of our favorite characters? Just no. Sad, sad faces over that. And what happened with Darnell Slant, who has been the big bag guy (admittedly, more the face of the bad guy, with others operating behind) but I still wanted to see some sort of resolution. I suppose leaving him out entirely of the new timeline would be just reward for a narcissist but still.

I sadly must remove this from one of my most recommended book series purely because of the ending. I think I wouldn't have been so disappointed if the first two hadn't been so amazing. We can hope for another book I suppose? But the "THE END" typed at the finish of this book makes us sadly believe the author thinks this wraps everything up. We disagree :( This is like the Tearling books all over again - great beginning - absolutely unsatisfying ending that leaves me not liking the first books in the series because of the ending.

the_fabric_of_words's review against another edition

The last book in the series kinda did what I knew it was going to do, wrap up with time-travel, but it's done in such a way you're not really sure everything works out alright until the very, very end....

I'm not spoiling it, I promise! But if you haven't read book 1, I strongly suggest you start at the beginning.

The book starts where the book two left off -- with the photo of the Morningstarrs. Only now you know, for sure, it's Tess and Theo Biedermann. They don't believe it, but there's no other way all of this could have been possible. Some sort of time travel has got to be going on. Jaime Cruz begins to unravel the clues, starting with the Morningstarrs building York more than 160 years ago...

In fact, the current Mayor is buying up the Morningstarr buildings and running on a platform of razing them, tearing them down to their roots and starting over, shiny and brand new, adding new features for the city, and to heck with the old, pain-in-the-keister cipher no one can solve.

Except the Bidermanns are still finding pieces. This time, they're pieces to a physical puzzle -- something they must put together from the pieces of strange and oddly unrelated objects, such as discarded dolls' heads.

The narrative takes a point-of-view and time-shift, so the reader gets a glimpse of what's going on in the Morningstarr's past. And it's not what you expect, not at all. York is not a bright, bustling city. It's falling apart, the Morningstarrs are on the brink of starvation. It's grim, they're on the verge of defeat. It's not Theo and Tess' history.

As a reader, you kinda know where this is going, so I won't spoil it by revealing any more.

Just know, this was a satisfying series conclusion, even if time travel and all its possibilities make my head hurt.

Visit my blog for more great middle grade book recommendations, free teaching materials and fiction writing tips: https://amb.mystrikingly.com/

bookedcoffee's review

ceridwyn's review against another edition

The characters in this are wonderful. I like the relationships, the world within this world building and the twists and turns, while not surprising are politically interesting and bound up in ideas of justice.

arrr's review against another edition

It's weird when authors acknowledge Indigenous peoples generally, but fail to identify the actual nations. New York city is on Lenape, Rockaway and Canarsie traditional lands. This was a good end to the story. I don't think I'll read it to my kid. I imagine it would appeal more to Americans. But it was interesting and held my attention. No extreme violence. Technology as magic. Moves from futuristic eco steampunk to science fiction time travel. Some discussion of race, though missed opportunity to talk about modern racism and classism. The mom is a cop, which is kind of gross. Some people will like this series. Not my favorite.

sheltzer's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted tense medium-paced

shoelessgirl's review against another edition

A satisfying end to the series. I enjoyed this a great deal, even if there were some inconsistencies with villains! I really liked the trio’s friendship.

wanderwithabook's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful inspiring mysterious

ayu_vs's review against another edition

Ok so the problem is that the ending was confusing because of so many timelines.....we don't know what happened to Jaime and the twins after that, we only meet them like decades later. But as we get reminded in the whole of series 'the process matters more than the end' I think the journey was really amazing here and what I really like about the books. actual rating 3.5

forestborn's review against another edition

This was AMAZING