A History of Wild Places, by Shea Ernshaw

alliesrecentreads's review

I really enjoyed this. It was so atmospheric and wild and just the right amount of mysterious. Kept me on my toes and craving more right up until the end.

luciamarier's review against another edition

3.5⭐️

bergmanjen's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

booktalkwithjb's review

2.5 stars.
What I Appreciated About This Book: I loved the synopsis of this book, which sounded right up my alley. I really enjoyed the first 1/3 of the book, and found the plot to be interesting for the most part. I loved how the beginning started with Travis, someone who has a sense of where missing people are, searching for Maggie St. James, a children's book author. I would have enjoyed more about these 2 characters as they were so richly created.

What Did Not Work For Me: To be honest, I did not like the turn this one took. It is hard to discuss much without spoilers, but the direction the book took after the first 1/3 was not what I was imagining and did not work for me as a reader. The middle felt long and drawn out, and the ending was disappointing. I know this book has worked for many readers, so a reminder that not every book will work for every reader, and that is okay.

eohare's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

tysbooks's review

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

This book was a vibe!! We follow Travis who is looking for Maggie St James who is a popular children's author that has been missing for 5 years when he is lead to a secluded town called Pastoral. We then follow members from that town and learn they are not allowed to cross the borders because if they do then they will become infected with the sickness called the pox. We begin to slowly learn more about this town and the true nature of the disappearance of Maggie.

This was hard for me to get into in the beginning, but when I did get into the story and started learning about Pastoral I was hooked. This is very slow burn, not much is happening, but it literally left me wanting more. I liked how everything came together at the end with the twist because I did not put that together myself. This is my second book from this author and I can definitely see myself picking up more of their work.

thebookcoyote's review

On the surface, this is a book about a missing person, but in truth it is so much more than that! I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but this book is a page-turner that I honestly couldn't put down. My only gripe was a meh feeling towards the two or three pages of the epilogue, but other than that this was an excellent book which I highly recommend!

tianarose's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

caro_reads14's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

brennieree33's review

I have conflicting feelings about this book. While I loved the atmospheric writing, the twist was pretty obvious and I don't really know how I feel about it. However, I do really like the characters and seeing the inside of their minds. I think I would've enjoyed this book a lot more if I'd been in a better mindset while reading it, and it kind of pushed me into a reading slump. But I did really enjoy this book, especially Calla and Theo.

Spoiler
-Can hypnosis really do all these sorts of things to people? The twist of this book just seems really strange to me, but then again, Travis/Theo can see afterimages of people. Still, I just don't know how I feel about the twist.

351 pages
TW: blood, manipulation, abusive relationships, death, life-threatening situations
Rep: blind?