Getting Schooled by Christina C. Jones

nerdynatreads's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

The best thing in this book is the BANTER. Y’all, from the first interaction, both characters have their guards up and they have barely let them slide yet! They pick and prod, calling each other names, and all while eyeing the other up. My favorite. Along with that though, I adore that there’s this ongoing joke: Jason’s work on the current book assignment for his course is usually Reece’s favorite. That knowledge both flatters and annoys the other, which is just so great, while also having some solid commentary! Even once they’re a couple, they still go back and forth, with just this fun repertoire with even more sexual tension underlying it.

There has been some mention of the taboo in their relationship, as Reece initially believes Jason to be a traditional student, but once she finds out he’s actually maturity-appropriate— she goes on a bit of a thought spiral, which was hilarious and steamy. Of course, he’s still her mother’s student and grades his work, so there’s still some of that ongoing. This doesn’t last too long after the sleep together, however. Instead, there’s another element of the story that makes things a little awkward (but also adorable!) Also the spice!! Oo yeah, 3 chilis worth.

Both characters have had some depth explored thus far, Reece’s father passed away a few years prior and she’s not quite over it, while Jason is a returned vet with a prosthetic who insists he’s not suffering from any other long-term effects, though his family continues to treat him with kid gloves. I really enjoyed when both of these were explored further, making each of them feel like well-rounded characters. There’s also plenty of family feels as Reece’s mother is obviously quite prevalent and then Jason’s brothers are, of course, introduced, since the rest of the series will be following their romances.

My biggest drawback in this book was the issues between the characters felt a bit too contrived. Reece would shut down so quickly and not allow Jason to respond, but once he could, it’d be resolved easily. I appreciated the emphasis of keeping an open line of communication though.

This definitely reminds me Penny Reid’s Winston Brother series, which has me over the moon and ready to read the next 2 books immediately.

menac's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

littlecozyreaderr's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

briannareads1342's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

jigsawgirl's review against another edition

I don't like new adult romances, so I was hesitant to start this book. I was really glad I did.

Jay and Reese were both in their late 20's. Their back and forth initially drove me crazy, mostly because Reese seemed so irritated. Their attraction was off the chart. I was glad when their back and forth became more teasing.

Both Jay and Reese had issues. I liked the way Reese handled the situation after they accidentally ran into each other and she learned more about Jay's life. They supported on another through everything that came at them.

I was also glad the characters were not thugs, gangsters, strippers, etc. I also liked that they weren't millionaires or billionaires.

I also like that the book included a mature romance. That relationship showed age ain't nothing' but a number. The book focused on family and friendships. Good relationships and bad. I listened to the audiobook and thought the narrators did a great job.

I am looking forward to reading the next book, "Pulling Doubles".

munsaka's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny inspiring lighthearted tense medium-paced

I don't know. it's just missing that one element to make it a 4-star read for me. Otherwise, it was a good book, and before I knew it was done.

kamsreadingcorner's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

blackgirlromantic's review against another edition

Christina C Jones knows how to write banter. I didn’t want the book to end because I wanted to keep reading Reese and Jason’s interactions. While this book is funny, there are also some emotional parts that are also really well done. I also really enjoyed reading about Black women in academia, something that we don’t often get to see in romances.

yagurl_courtney's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing sad tense medium-paced

ennitsud's review against another edition

so very soft

jason and reese were soooo soft for most of the book and it made for a very very sweet read! i loved the banter at the beginning and the intelligent insights—like reading jason’s comments for the class were INTERESTING and i say that as a college student who gets annoyed at commenting on other’s comments and writing my own (academically). and i read the snippet of devyn’s story and i am looking forward to reading it too heheheh (thank u, sil, for the recommendation)