Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

The Score, by Elle Kennedy

agnesbebon's review

• Plot- or character-driven? N/A

This entire review contains spoilers.

Ok this isn’t going to be nice and I feel kinda bad about it. These are most of my thoughts on this book so it’s a little chaotic and really long.

First, some things I liked:
-This book made me love Garrett and Hannah even more. Especially Garrett. The problem with this is it is not their book and they felt like equally main characters.
-I genuinely laughed at loud at some parts!!
- I loved Allie and Dean getting together, and they really did have me at some points.
-I liked the overall idea of this plot more than the others (emphasis on idea)
-Dean running to the rescue? Yes love it. Dean after the cops were called? Phenomenal
- Parts of it were really hot I gotta give Elle Kennedy that
- Huge spoiler: there was great development after Beau’s death but this should’ve come sooner

Some quick issues:
I hated the twincest moment. There was a weird brief juice cleanse promo. I never want to hear “jiggle down” again. Did not like the reference to Tr*mp. This book was significantly more male gaze-y than the last two. There were weird race jokes.

Things that made me mad (this book genuinely made me angry):
- I hate saying things made me cringe, but the writing in this made me cringe. Like what was “she’s probably ovaries-deep in a carton of ben and Jerry’s right now” hated that.
- This is my number one issue with this book: there were too many goddamn side characters and mini plots. The entire middle of this book was just introducing characters for the next book/ Briar U series. Even the ending wasn’t about Allie and Dean. This book is quite frankly not about Allie and Dean. The first half gave me what I wanted. Then they introduced wayyy too many people and the plot was completely lost
- Miranda’s plot (coaches daughters ex thing) was not developed enough for what Kennedy was trying to do.  The coach straight up did not need to be in the book - literally nothing came of it.
- There was like barely any hockey in this book?? After reading The Mistake and The Score, I realize a huge reason why I really like The Deal is the amount of hockey in it and the way both characters interact with it
- Where was the smut in the last like 40% of the book? Where was it?
- Warning major spoiler: Beaus death came too late. It really feels like so much time was spent setting up side characters that the bulk of the story wasn’t really about Allie and Dean and so there was a rush at the end to give them some substance. I liked how this added to the plot, but I think it should’ve been done earlier (honestly the middle chunk of the book was not needed) and been more developed (days just go by and details are just missed that would’ve been included in the first two books of this series). Same with Allie struggling about her future. I wished it focused on these plot points and really developed it instead of introducing a million characters

Overall it was somehow too long while also being underdeveloped and I just don’t think it was really about Allie and Dean and I’m disappointed.

miglena's review

s_pywow's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

elizabeth_delozier's review

emotional fast-paced

A new adult, college, hockey, spicy romance (3/5 spice rating). Dean is my favorite of all the off-campus men and Allie has a healthy amount of spunk. Dean lives the shameless life of back-to-back one night stands and Allie is the relationship-type. When Allie attempts to give the casual dating life a whirl, will Dean find himself changing his ways? Even better than watching these two fall for each other is watching them fight to stay together. There is an emotional twist in this book that will have you in tears, while the group finds a way to cope and you get a happy surprise at the end that opens up to the next book.

dlrosebyh's review

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

oliviabrcka's review

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

Allie Hayes has just broken up with her college-long boyfriend. Like, last night. Although she's not usually one to move on right away, a rebound could be just what she needs. Who better to be the rebound guy than the campus party boy Dean Di Laurentis? No strings, all in good fun, it seems perfect. Until it isn't anymore.
The Score definitely picked up the lull for me where The Mistake left off. This book hit the ground running and literally didn't stop. I loved reading it and I was left so excited to pick up the next book.
Elle Kennedy's writing definitely begins to add more personality here. I was literally laughing out loud, slapping my knee, and squealing with excitement during this book. Or shaking with excitement. These stories are so immersive, and once I pick them up, I can't put them down until I finish reading. I feel like overall, the writing has improved upon each addition to the series, so I am excited to see how the final books deliver.
Allie is our female lead, and she's so bubbly and sweet, it's hard not to love her. She's had a lot of trauma in the past, but she stays so kind and determined, and you just have to cheer for her. Dean is just Dean. He's the kind of guy that, in real life, you would totally hate, but he's Dean, and he's hilarious, so you just have to give him a pass. However, Dean really has so much character development throughout the story, probably the most we've seen out of this cast, and I loved to see that. We also see way more of the boys' bromance in this book (which we already know I'm HERE FOR) so I was happy all the way around here.
The Score explores mostly themes of chasing your dreams and following your passion, with obviously lots of relationship-y stuff in between. I really appreciated watching Dean and Allie discover themselves while building their relationship.
The end of this book literally left me screaming (for no reason because I already knew Tucker's storyline lol) and I have already started reading and I'm so excited to finish it! This series has been literally so addicting, to the point where I've been finishing every book in three hours or less. I'm so excited for these last two novels but I have no idea what I'm gonna do with myself after...

beccaslittlebooknook's review

dark emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

shebke_21's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted sad

zxie's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

annreadss's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced