Reviews tagging Grief

The Score, by Elle Kennedy

bmreads's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

The second they started talking about twilight I knew I was gonna like this a lot.

agnesbebon's review

• Plot- or character-driven? N/A

This entire review contains spoilers.

Ok this isn’t going to be nice and I feel kinda bad about it. These are most of my thoughts on this book so it’s a little chaotic and really long.

First, some things I liked:
-This book made me love Garrett and Hannah even more. Especially Garrett. The problem with this is it is not their book and they felt like equally main characters.
-I genuinely laughed at loud at some parts!!
- I loved Allie and Dean getting together, and they really did have me at some points.
-I liked the overall idea of this plot more than the others (emphasis on idea)
-Dean running to the rescue? Yes love it. Dean after the cops were called? Phenomenal
- Parts of it were really hot I gotta give Elle Kennedy that
- Huge spoiler: there was great development after Beau’s death but this should’ve come sooner

Some quick issues:
I hated the twincest moment. There was a weird brief juice cleanse promo. I never want to hear “jiggle down” again. Did not like the reference to Tr*mp. This book was significantly more male gaze-y than the last two. There were weird race jokes.

Things that made me mad (this book genuinely made me angry):
- I hate saying things made me cringe, but the writing in this made me cringe. Like what was “she’s probably ovaries-deep in a carton of ben and Jerry’s right now” hated that.
- This is my number one issue with this book: there were too many goddamn side characters and mini plots. The entire middle of this book was just introducing characters for the next book/ Briar U series. Even the ending wasn’t about Allie and Dean. This book is quite frankly not about Allie and Dean. The first half gave me what I wanted. Then they introduced wayyy too many people and the plot was completely lost
- Miranda’s plot (coaches daughters ex thing) was not developed enough for what Kennedy was trying to do.  The coach straight up did not need to be in the book - literally nothing came of it.
- There was like barely any hockey in this book?? After reading The Mistake and The Score, I realize a huge reason why I really like The Deal is the amount of hockey in it and the way both characters interact with it
- Where was the smut in the last like 40% of the book? Where was it?
- Warning major spoiler: Beaus death came too late. It really feels like so much time was spent setting up side characters that the bulk of the story wasn’t really about Allie and Dean and so there was a rush at the end to give them some substance. I liked how this added to the plot, but I think it should’ve been done earlier (honestly the middle chunk of the book was not needed) and been more developed (days just go by and details are just missed that would’ve been included in the first two books of this series). Same with Allie struggling about her future. I wished it focused on these plot points and really developed it instead of introducing a million characters

Overall it was somehow too long while also being underdeveloped and I just don’t think it was really about Allie and Dean and I’m disappointed.

sringdahl's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

kar's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

It was very lighthearted but it did discuss briefly death and grief. Over all a very easy read and it was funny. Basically about how Dean and Allie met and how their relationship developed. Dean and Allie might be my faves so far. Their energy matches so well. I was DYING of laughter. I thought I wasn't gonna like Dean at all but that book is soo fun.

lomesia's review

funny medium-paced

miglena's review

steffanieer13's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted sad medium-paced

I take everything back. Dean is my boy and I just remembered. There is just something about a guy being known for sleeping around and then finding the right girl and just accepting it. And man, did my heart break for him, multiple times. Also love Allie so much! She’s funny af and I like how open she is about her sexuality. Dean forever!

elizabeth_delozier's review

emotional fast-paced

A new adult, college, hockey, spicy romance (3/5 spice rating). Dean is my favorite of all the off-campus men and Allie has a healthy amount of spunk. Dean lives the shameless life of back-to-back one night stands and Allie is the relationship-type. When Allie attempts to give the casual dating life a whirl, will Dean find himself changing his ways? Even better than watching these two fall for each other is watching them fight to stay together. There is an emotional twist in this book that will have you in tears, while the group finds a way to cope and you get a happy surprise at the end that opens up to the next book.

rachrreads's review against another edition

emotional funny slow-paced