Reviews tagging Alcohol

The Score, by Elle Kennedy

agnesbebon's review

• Plot- or character-driven? N/A

This entire review contains spoilers.

Ok this isn’t going to be nice and I feel kinda bad about it. These are most of my thoughts on this book so it’s a little chaotic and really long.

First, some things I liked:
-This book made me love Garrett and Hannah even more. Especially Garrett. The problem with this is it is not their book and they felt like equally main characters.
-I genuinely laughed at loud at some parts!!
- I loved Allie and Dean getting together, and they really did have me at some points.
-I liked the overall idea of this plot more than the others (emphasis on idea)
-Dean running to the rescue? Yes love it. Dean after the cops were called? Phenomenal
- Parts of it were really hot I gotta give Elle Kennedy that
- Huge spoiler: there was great development after Beau’s death but this should’ve come sooner

Some quick issues:
I hated the twincest moment. There was a weird brief juice cleanse promo. I never want to hear “jiggle down” again. Did not like the reference to Tr*mp. This book was significantly more male gaze-y than the last two. There were weird race jokes.

Things that made me mad (this book genuinely made me angry):
- I hate saying things made me cringe, but the writing in this made me cringe. Like what was “she’s probably ovaries-deep in a carton of ben and Jerry’s right now” hated that.
- This is my number one issue with this book: there were too many goddamn side characters and mini plots. The entire middle of this book was just introducing characters for the next book/ Briar U series. Even the ending wasn’t about Allie and Dean. This book is quite frankly not about Allie and Dean. The first half gave me what I wanted. Then they introduced wayyy too many people and the plot was completely lost
- Miranda’s plot (coaches daughters ex thing) was not developed enough for what Kennedy was trying to do.  The coach straight up did not need to be in the book - literally nothing came of it.
- There was like barely any hockey in this book?? After reading The Mistake and The Score, I realize a huge reason why I really like The Deal is the amount of hockey in it and the way both characters interact with it
- Where was the smut in the last like 40% of the book? Where was it?
- Warning major spoiler: Beaus death came too late. It really feels like so much time was spent setting up side characters that the bulk of the story wasn’t really about Allie and Dean and so there was a rush at the end to give them some substance. I liked how this added to the plot, but I think it should’ve been done earlier (honestly the middle chunk of the book was not needed) and been more developed (days just go by and details are just missed that would’ve been included in the first two books of this series). Same with Allie struggling about her future. I wished it focused on these plot points and really developed it instead of introducing a million characters

Overall it was somehow too long while also being underdeveloped and I just don’t think it was really about Allie and Dean and I’m disappointed.

annah2reads's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

sringdahl's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

lomesia's review

funny medium-paced

goobertk's review

lighthearted slow-paced

this off campus is my least favorite. i was so bored most of the way through. the chemistry was lacking. it also gave me the ick that dean kept trying to convince allie to sleep with him.

melikeskn's review

adventurous challenging funny fast-paced

folded_between_pages_of_books's review against another edition

getbrekked's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

miglena's review

s_pywow's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced