The Final Girl Support Group, by Grady Hendrix

kmartin19's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

kingboycar's review against another edition

WOW did i love this book!! it feels like it was really structured to fit all of my favorite tropes; meta deconstruction of horror, bleak monologue from the mc about the aftermath of tragedies, the inclusion of newspaper clippings and movie posters all capitalizing on the trauma of teenage girls forced to fight for their lives, and some really great homages to some of the most iconic final girls. as a protagonist, lynnette was great; simultaneously struggling under the title of ‘final girl’ while being told/telling herself that she isn’t even a real final girl, spending the money she made off the publication of her sickening trauma on building a literal trap around her door and taking care of her pepper plant, and quite literally doing whatever it takes to stay surviving (because that’s what final girls do). i am such a sucker for the aftermath of final girls (see: the halloween remake) and this book delivered. from start to finish, the final girl support group was an exhilarating and satisfying take on one of horror’s most famous tropes.

mrb's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

paigefullilove's review against another edition

challenging dark tense fast-paced

whatthefawkes's review against another edition

DNF @ 64%

I was looking forward to this book but for whatever reason, I couldn't get into it? I think I'll come back to it at some point and hopefully I'll finish it/enjoy it a little more.

tashwilliams's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

alexismarie20's review against another edition

i LOVE this

theboldbookworm's review

Another winner from Hendrix! In The Final Girl Support Group, we follow a group of final girls who have been meeting for years. Now, someone is out to get them. Will they stick together or fall apart?

Each of the final girls has her own movie and it was easy to tell which movies they were based on. I loved all the nods to the horror movies throughout the book. There are also articles, interview transcripts, etc. included.

A love letter to slasher movies, this was an action packed book that I read in two sittings. It was a fun read while not being too campy, although it is a little campy because slashers. I thought I had it all figured out several times, but I was wrong. There's gore, a little humor, and some badass women. If you love slasher films, you will probably love this book.

prideguy's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Easy read. Kept me guessing. A lot of fun. Super unique plot.

lareads's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious fast-paced