Mercy Blade, by Faith Hunter

kari_webster's review against another edition

Pacing is much better in this one. Although i guessed one of the culprits before Jane, i still really enjoyed the plot & found it more engaging than the first two. I still have issues with the way the timeline jumps around - it definitely leaves holes in character relationships / situations - but overall, good fun

jna99's review against another edition

I loved the book!! I'm looking forward to reading the next book. Even though I haven't ordered it yet.

yleuname's review against another edition

Shit is too good

msmiz95's review against another edition

SO happy;) Ms. Hunter, you done good, real good. It is going to be really hard to wait for the next one.

Recommendation - anyone who likes UF, this series is a perfect addition to your library.

macthekat's review against another edition

re-read in 2013 and in 2016. I clearly like it

vivicia's review against another edition

There was an awful lot of show don't tell in this book and far too much unwarranted guilt which made it hard going in places.

I'm interested to see where this goes so I'll pick up the next one but I really hope the random guilt takes a hike.

liliandherbooks's review against another edition

This installment in the Jane Yellowrock series delves even deeper into the supernatural lore of the world as weres come out of the closet. It was kind of sad to see the short romance between Rick and Jane so quickly and spectacularly throughout the book. The investigative aspect in this installment was perplexing and invigorating to unravel as Jane got more and more clues to solve the big murder mystery.

I have to say that the only bad thing about this installment--that I have also seen in previous installments--is the overly descriptive writing style. While at times it helps with setting up the backdrop of the city of New Orleans and the further reaches of the state of Louisiana very well, it also pulls me out of the story when there's a page-long description of something nonsensical and not part of the plot-line at all.

Also not a huge fan of the cliffhanger but it does entice me enough to buy the multitude of side short stories about the world that are available.

nerdywerewolf's review against another edition

There were always vamp parties. They lived for them. Well, parties, sex, and blood. And conspiracy. And power plays.

Oh, Jane. Jane, Jane, Jane. She's like a friend, right? Like, you like her as a person, but she's that friend that always makes decisions that make you want to smack her upside the head. Endearingly, of course.

Surprise! Were-creatures! We got some symbiotic relationships with other non-were supernatural creatures, new myths about the "Cursed of Artemis" and a wholly new supernat that I don't think I've ever read about before. On top of that, there are international, government and vampire politics to be had.

The mystery was an interesting one and it was fun watching Jane put it together. Something's still up with the witches, though. The end of the book left me feeling 'eh' because of how I feel about certain characters, but overall, I liked it much better than the second installment. Already reading book 4.

librovert's review against another edition

Jane Yellowrock is a Badass. Khristine Hvam is a Badass narrator.

I was recently in a bit of a reading slump and wasn't feeling any of the unread books I had left in my Audible library - so I picked up the next in Jane Yellowrock's series and it did not disappoint.

Jane is a great character, and one of the more relatable heroines I've had the pleasure of reading about. She's independent and strong-willed, but being on her own for so long has made her vulnerable in her personal relationships.

I don't really have a lot to say about Mercy Blade without gushing all over it - these are super fun, exciting reads with some really neat twists on supernatural lore. Highly recommend this series.

Audio Notes: I can't recommend the audiobooks for this series enough. My first encounter with Khristine Hvam was average, but her southern accent and attitude are perfect for Jane.

sanaastoria's review against another edition

[3.5 Stars] That ending! Really enjoyed this one, but I do think that the ending was a little rushed. It was a bit much to take in. I can't wait to get to the next one because seriously that CLIFFHANGER (it isn't really one but then it really is at the same time)...