Call Us What We Carry: Poems, by Amanda Gorman

challenging emotional hopeful slow-paced

annikakrovi's review

change

wrh121's review

A complete masterpiece from beginning to end. A perfect Time Capsule in poetry of the world right now. When you’re in the middle of this book and the poems hurt, they are so full of truth and some are so hard to read, keep going to the very last line in the book. Because you’re in wonderful hands and your guide’s words will give you shivers down your spine. Even though you’ve heard her say them before, they are just as powerful, if not more so, after reading this work.

jennymer's review

just not for me

sepitz's review

emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

justabookholic's review against another edition

Truly a well-crafted collection of poetry by Gorman. Showcasing her talent with language and prose, Gorman writes with an unwavering, erudite voice that unflinchingly holds a mirror to both the past and the present. It was a unique read as it was not simply only poems but also added contextual breaks between poems which both gave insight into both the poems and the poet. Gorman explored ideas of grief and pain but did not dwell upon tragedy, instead showcasing the hope and the potential for a better future that acknowledges the mistakes of the past.

csamura's review

I have so many thoughts about this collection that I'm still attempting to process. What a journey.
I've been an avid poetry reader for many years now and I approached this collection with cautious optimism that it would be of a particular quality and caliber that is often missing from the popular new poets currently publishing.
This collection was very topical and at times felt trite and overly generalized. Gorman's original pieces almost entirely use the first person plural, we. Although inclusive, there were missed opportunities for Gorman to get more personal rather than hiding in her work. Many of the poems were excerpts from historical documents taken and altered or abbreviated by Gorman, which was generally well done and effective, however I would have liked to read more of Gorman's own words.
There were, without a doubt, deeply meaningful and evocative moments throughout the collection. Including hauntingly beautiful, honest verses. The more generalized or redundant pieces could have been cut or consolidated to make it a little more hard hitting at times.
Overall a solid collection from such a young poet. I look forward to seeing Gorman hone her skills as a writer in future work, the promise is certainly there, I believe she is just breaking the surface of her potential.

kellsieherrmann's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

frejajep's review

emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

fancysimages's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced