Reviews tagging 'Pedophilia'

What You Are Looking For is in the Library by Michiko Aoyama

arturo_luzen's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

mika3's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing slow-paced

Needed this. Sometimes I wish I could be gently guided to learning little life lessons in the way the characters did. Oftentimes I logically know, but a little lesson is needed for it to feel real. This world makes it hard to remain hopeful that your actions can make a difference and it can be borderline impossible in the depths of depression to see that mistakes and misfortune are part of creating a beautiful future. Characters felt so real and relatable. I love books about books and it was an incredible touch to show how the lives of all the disparate characters are softly connected. Where is the sequel detailing all of the wisdom of Yakita's life??? /s. If you need a pick me up, if you need a little inspiration, if life has been feeling hopeless, these little stories are perfect. Can be read individually or all together. I'm recommending it to my friends.

If you are wondering about the content warnings:
-A woman is moved to a worse position after her maternity leave as they believe she will be an inefficient worker. -A man is questioned by the police (and presumably arrested?) on suspicion of harm to children due to him looking into a schoolyard in a "suspicious outfit". -The wonderful librarian lady is physically described in every chapter in an unkind way when the character first sees her. The only part of this book that made me unhappy, but entirely unsurprising to see a fat woman portrayed this way in Japanese media.

pia_h's review

emotional hopeful inspiring slow-paced

This book is a hommage to reading and the importance of books and libraries. In five stories the author shows how reading books recommended by a librarian can change people's attitudes towards life and their behaviour. Each story has a different lesson / philosophical insight. I enjoyed the collection and seeing some characters from the first few stories popping up in later ones.