The Second Sex, by Simone de Beauvoir

junkyardigan's review against another edition

I think it would be hard to examine any other subject in such a variety of ways, but at the same time it would also be hard to write it down this well. I don't actually find it as dated as I thought I would - everything is still so applicable.

kallahanmical's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

gayh0e's review against another edition

inspiring reflective slow-paced

ephy's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective slow-paced

nono_mv's review against another edition

We can talk about this around a coffee but I'm not typing my thought - I want to stay sane

mibramowitz's review against another edition

Rating for the first half of the book, an excellent start to feminist theory, if a little dated.

littlereadtomate's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective tense

georglowinger's review against another edition

*exhales*

brisingr's review against another edition

A must read for EVERYONE! I cannot stress how important this book is! It just truly explains, in a very easy to follow and comprehensive way, why is the world as it is now, and how come women are always the ones facing hate, persecution, disgust. Literally, it's very eye-opening, very explicative, without being anything more than factually laying down the issue.
If you want to understand why feminism is needed, why we ask for equality, why women are struggling so much with just existing... This is where to start with searching for answers. I'm literally in love with how eloquent Simone de Beauvoir is, how easy to understand and follow is her writing, and how much I'm left with at the end of this first volume.

brisingr's review against another edition

This took me so long to finish oh my fucking god. The first part was amazing, really (and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants contact with one of the cornerstone books of Western feminism) - but the second part really didn't pass the test of time and it's quite outdated (happily so, since it discusses the condition of woman in current times, and one would hope that so many decades later, it is at least slightly better). Could have been a tiny bit shorter though, since a lot of ideas I feel are repeated throughout the book.

Also some points off bc de Beauvoir was into illegally younger people and I couldn't care less about the ideas of those times or whatever.