American Gods by Neil Gaiman

the_enobee's review against another edition

George Guidall's narration was outstanding. Loved revisiting this in audio after reading years ago.

wrentheblurry's review against another edition

I liked it, I did. I wanted to love it, for it's Neil Gaiman, and so many others praise this as his best work. Maybe I would have liked the shorter, non-anniversary edition more. I am not a fast reader, but a book that I thought was amazing would not take me a month to read, even a big one.

Still, Gaiman is an amazing writer. I heard his voice in my head when I read Shadow's lines. The characters are intense, varied, deep. One complaint--there are just too many of them. Three-quarters of the way through names were being dropped and characters were showing up that I know I had met earlier, yet I just could not remember them. And I couldn't be bothered to search through the book to find out exactly what part they played in Shadow's grand journey.

I cared about what happened at the end, and enjoyed most of the weird side-turns the characters took to get to their inevitable climactic scene. The ending was quite fulfilling. Next, I might need to try his current novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

buku_worm's review against another edition

Long but enjoyed it throughout!

It took me awhile to finish it but I really enjoyed it. I definitely will re read it and get more out of it each time I read it

spitzig's review against another edition

I give this book the best review I can. Simply by stating that I reread this book, and will probably reread it again.

The topic is one of my favorites. Religion. And, it uses it in a mythic way-Gaiman is the best fiction writer I've read to do that. I remembered there being more gods the first time I read it. That was a slight disappointment, but not enough to give 4 stars.

The plot was good. It worked on a small scale and large scale at the same time-both from a personal and "world changing" perspective.

The characters were interesting. The main character was Shadow. The last time I read it, someone from a book discussion group said they thought he was named that because he wasn't really there(or something like that). It stuck in my head. He didn't seem to have a lot of feelings through the book, though. It seemed like most of the time, he was just saying OK and doing things he thought needed to be done.

Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. This and Sandman are why. I find him to be a reliably good author, enough that I don't bother with reviews before reading his stuff. Rare for me.

Added: Before when I read this, it was the original version. This is the Author's Definitive version, or something. It has a "deleted scene" at the end with Jesus. I didn't care for the scene. Jesus just seems to be in a different category because so much of the US does believe in him. Just didn't seem to fit with the other gods. But, that scene had a good insight into belief in Jesus.

saraaras's review against another edition

Es un libro muy raro lleno de simbolismos, de situaciones extrañas y muchos dioses intentando sobrevivir a este mundo.

Gaiman ha querido mostrar la America más profunda y excéntrica y la forma en la que los extranjeros iban repoblando la tierra y con ella se traían a sus dioses de origen.

Me gustaría haber visto más de los nuevos dioses y el efecto que causa en las personas pero el autor se ha centrado más en los dioses antiguos. De todas formas ha desarrollado muy bien como los viejos dioses se van adaptando a la sociedad de hoy en día.

No se si he entendido todo porque en ciertos momentos el libro es un viaje al estilo de “Alicia en el país de las maravillas” donde cualquier cosa puede ocurrir, pero en general me ha gustado.

7/10

almondraids's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective

was a bit too graphic and sexual in some parts for my taste in reading / listening to books, but nonetheless a great read

patricknight's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

Review: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Quotes "He was no longer scared of what tomorrow might bring, because yesterday had brought it."

"Every hour wounds. The last one kills."

"Lives are snowflakes— unique in detail, forming patterns we have seen before, but as like one another as peas in a pod"

"Fiction allows us to slide into these other heads, these other places, and look out through other eyes. And then in the tale we stop before we die, or we die vicariously and unharmed, and in the world beyond the tale we turn the page or close the book, and we resume our lives."

“Not only are there no happy endings,” she told him. “There aren’t even any endings.”

Review: I've been wanting to read American Gods for years now. And was it worth it? Yes, and no. Gaiman is a phenomenal storyteller. I feel like he took the long way around to tell this one, though. America is a country of immigrants. Those immigrants all had their own beliefs and gods. When they came to America, they brought them along.

The descendents of those immigrants began forgetting about the old gods. And began giving their attention and admiration to new things. Thus, new gods were brought to life.
The new gods decide that it's time for the old to go away for good. Thus starting a conflict over the attention and admiration of people.
Stuck in the middle of this is a man named Shadow.
What unfolds from there is many things. Part profound, and also very abstract as well.

h3dakota's review against another edition

I really, really wanted to like this book. In the end, I was left wondering why I'd stuck with it. On one hand, I was thrilled to have surprises along the way, like my favorite place in the world as a child (The House on the Rock) show up in a story, but on the other, I was just never hooked into really caring about ANY of the characters. Heck, I didn't even really care what happened in the story much, for that matter. I was just left with an overall gigantic sense of MEH, and I think that was my biggest disappointment. I had high hopes for this book, especially after reading reviews that talk about this novel being "great literature". Hmmm, no. I really wanted it to be, but no.

10inspace's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious slow-paced

greatestnate's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced