Reviews tagging Child abuse

Radio Silence, by Alice Oseman

mme_carton's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

sk_coco's review

funny hopeful inspiring mysterious medium-paced

bitsandbobsdivination's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I love how deeply this book was rooted in friendship and creating true, real, and very raw connections with others. I really enjoyed the first half as well as was very nervous for the characters in the second as things blew up to the point I wasn’t sure which way it would go.

Beautiful story as a reminder that we do have a choice in the end and there is always another way if we allow ourselves to seek it. 🗝✨

colorful_lulu's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

Content Warning: Dog murder, physically & emotionally abusive parent/mother, mental health

I loved how the main boy-girl friendship that doesn’t become anything romantic. Heck, this is addressed early on in the book that it gets annoying when anonymous Tumblr users and Frances’s so-called “friends” assume that because Frances and Aled have a boy-girl friendship, it’s romantic. Instead, the childhood best friend to lover trope between Aled and Daniel was the only lasting romantic relationship throughout the book.

This book has really an original storyline. You begin with drunk Aled admitting that he’s Radio and Frances trying to form a friendship without ruining it by fangirling, to Aled’s deepest secret splashed all over the internet ruining the trust between them, and ending with Frances, Daniel, Carys, and Raine driving 6 hours to find Aled in university and stopping him from going back to his abusive mother. Even from the beginning, I wanted to scream at how unpredictable, relatable, and just how original the story is. With little details building up to create the final storyline, truly like Universe City.

A final comment: I’m surprised at how little the [b:Heartstopper: Volume One|40495957|Heartstopper Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)|Alice Oseman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1541887843l/40495957._SY75_.jpg|62811229] characters are mentioned in the book. The characters never use their name but you know it’s Tori, Charlie, and Nick. And you know that the book takes place after [b:Solitaire|20618110|Solitaire|Alice Oseman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1390416741l/20618110._SY75_.jpg|39901420] because of the girl’s school burned down in the prologue and it has been mentioned a couple of times.

rebecca_77's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

walkingpoppet's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

platoniciris's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective tense fast-paced

Wow. This book was not at all what I was expecting.

jemjjb's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious sad medium-paced

serena_hien's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

reiyu's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

This book has such a diverse cast of characters, LGBTQ+ characters along with people of colour characters. The story has an amazing plot, and the characters really add to it.

The characters were quite loveable, and I really did grow an attachment to them while I was reading this book. We get the main character’s perspective but I believe that the other characters are just as important for the growth of the story. ( The story is in first person. ) The main character does a lot of school work, they don’t necessarily enjoy it but they are extremely intelligent and so think that they should go into something that requires a lot of brains as she does have those skills. Once in a while, she does get a break and likes to draw. She is one of the many diverse characters, as she is of mixed race with her dad being black and her mother being white. She is also apart of the LGBTQ+ community, similar to many of the lead roles from Alice Oseman. ( the authour ).

We get little clues every few chapter, each building up the story and explaining more to us about one of the characters and the main character finds out about one of their old friends through a radio show, and they also discover lots of things related to their town. The plot is extremely gripping and constantly had me on my toes! The attachment that I had grown with the characters, helped me engage with the story a lot more as I wanted to know what was happening to these people as the authour had made me interested in them.  There are constant plot-twists, and the authour sends us on an adventure. It does end with a happy ending!

Admittedly, some parts were slow and I would’ve appreciated a faster pace but I found that every slow part in the book did lead to a big event in the end. Most of it was fast pase so I got through this book very quickly.

I did love the characters, and they all had some sort of development, but I feel like the character ‘Daniel’ was jusr thrown in there. I loved him, but the story wouldn’t have changed if the authour did not include him.

A trope that instantly comes to mind after thinking about it is ‘Academic Rivals-to-friends’. There’s lots of scenes inside of the book which are set in school, as the characters are still in school, but I thought these scenes made the book more real.

My favourite quote from the book was :
“I wonder- if nobody is listening to my voice, am I making any sound at all?”