Reviews tagging Child abuse

Radio Silence, by Alice Oseman

evelynyle_88's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

Finally I finished this book!! Oh, at first I felt really not quite engaging to the story. But, as the story goes on, I got the feeling that the whole story would be even sadder than other Alice Oseman's book.
They're really wrote everything beautifully.

Radio Silence is brilliant. I got myself took a deep breath everytime I read the triggers. It really got me and it sometimes felt related to myself. Sometimes, I felt triggered, but I'm glad that I can finish this book.

The one that bothered me just... how Carol Last was formed in this story. She's just straight a red flag for me. But, I... am glad that Radio Silence ended with a happy ending.

anastasia_raf's review

dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

I don't hate this book, but I don't like it either.
There were a lot of things that I was feeling icky about... I don't think the demisexual rep is well done and some other  things that bothered me about the characters...

I didn't like the writing, I found the story... Well, meh? I liked the whole podcast thing but that was about it.

I'm one of those people who enjoyed solitaire a lot more. Not that I don't have my problems with it as well but in comparison I like it more than radio silence.

It's moody kind of read, I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot but that's about it.

anna_hepworth's review against another edition

Oseman does a great job of writing believable but flawed young adults, and the stress associated with the transition from high school to 'the rest of your life', with or without parental pressure. I greatly appreciated that while there is a parent whose parenting style made me go argh, it was not the the viewpoint character's (Frances) parent -- we got to see a slightly odd but working parent/child relationship from the inside, as Frances and their parent interact throughout the story.

The framing narrative of the storytelling podcast, along with the far too believable online fan interaction gives a much needed break at times. Because there are some very stressful moments in the story, not least related to exam stress, exam results, university entrance and acceptances.

Although there is a romantic relationship that is core to the story, this is not a romance, but a story of multiple friendships. Of growing up and changing and working out what is important.

sienna1508's review

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

<minor_spoiler> This book feels like the two main characters will get together but they don't. </minor_spoiler> Romance isn't the book's main focus and sometimes it's nice just to have a strong friendship. The book discusses fandoms being stalkerish and their effects on real people. The book leaves a strong message.

therainbowshelf's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

I love the way this starts out like a romcom with Frances meeting the maker of the podcast she’s obsessed with quite by accident. It then becomes a book about friendship, mental health, child abuse, and toxic fandom culture. It was a fun ride. I especially enjoyed having demisexual rep. The fandom references seemed a little dated for teens the year this came out, but that might have been on purpose (or they were popular then in the UK). I would have liked a little more discussion of suicide since it seemed like everyone was afraid to put a label on their specific concerns about a certain character later in the book. Great opportunity for mental health conversations.

teaskate's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Interesting idea but also important topic of trying to fit in,and the hard decisions that you need to make to be happy.The friendship between Frances and Aled was also really cute.

sinaprst's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

This book seriously destroyed me and I loved it. Never have I ever related to two characters this much, it is almost scary. This holds a very special place in my heart. Itˋs just perfect, imo.

sandrarry's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

wintah's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

absolutely amazing, breath taking, incredible, seriously my new favourite book. also yes i heavily relate to both main characters why do you ask.

[spoilers]
i would've wished though that enby aled was confirmed but alice said he only figures that out in his 20s so it's fine

asexualandriod's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced