Reviews tagging Toxic friendship

Radio Silence, by Alice Oseman

mme_carton's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

entityj's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

nojerama's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

I have never seen myself in a character more than I have with Frances. Her and Aled's friendship is my favourite thing in the world.

em_davies7019's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

ramoonlight's review

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

jil_m's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Wow. Such a good book! I am speechless. Alice Oseman  really is the Jane Austen of Gen Z. The characters are so diverse, so powerful and so well written, there is no way you can’t love the main characters. I especially am very fond of Raine. Always supported Frances wherever she could. I think this might be one of my new favorite books. It’s so original, modern, diverse, well written and well thought out. The only thing I would like to add is the fact that we knew a lot about the concept of university with, but we didn’t really got to know a lot about the story. We basically got thrown in the middle of a fire hoping that we’d escape ourselves. A part from that, a book that will carry my heart and tears.

justreaditem's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

The podcasts we’re voiced in such a way, I had serious Dr Who vibes. I was taken back to my 16 year old self, watching David Tennant in his pinstriped suit and chucks, running around with Rose/Martha/Donna.

I completely understood Frances. From her wanting to be the best, to her having her breakdown. Putting so much pressure on yourself is hard, it can cause so many things to go wrong; especially with your mental health. I wanted her and Raine to get closer; I wanted Frances to explore her sexuality a little bit more, just because I remember being her age and really wondering who I was. But when she completely cut herself off from the world; my heart broke. I remember being that person who just shut off. She was a great friend to Aled but a not so great friend to Raine.

Aled was, pardon my French, un rabat-joie (thank you QUANABOOKS). A proper wet blanket. All he did was whine. I understand that his sister went missing, and you know what, I get that his mum was an abusive woman who has mental health issues but Christ on a bike, ACCEPT YOUR OWN ACCOUNTABILITY.

Frances was nice, Daniel was nice, but Aled was so self sabotaging, that I found myself shouting at my phone in frustration at how he treated everybody. He felt abandoned and alone and lashed out but I honestly wanted to shake him and tell him to stop being so stupid.

I did love the message of, university isn’t everything. Along with the message of, do what you love. There’s no point pushing yourself to burning point for something you don’t love i.e. law, medicine, when it’s so competitive and expensive, when you could do something you love and figure the rest out.

I did love the ending. I finished this book with a smile on my face.