Touch the Dark, by Karen Chance

chantaal's review

This book had some serious backstory to it, the sort of meat that most series will have come up with after book three or four. Touch the Dark knocks it out of the park all at once, which was both good and bad. Good, because it gave it much more substance than most urban fantasy novels. Bad, because there were pages and pages of exposition and explanations of magic and vampires and politics instead of having anything really happen. And while the sexy bits were nice, it felt like they kinda came out of nowhere.

whitecat5000's review against another edition

On second read this is a DNF. I don't like to change my original rating, but this doesn't stand the test of time for me. Too much info dumping paired with a "not like other girls" protagonist.

christapolis's review

One of the best Laurell K. Hamilton clones I've read thus far. The concept is original, the heroine believable, and the universe entertaining. She does tend to do a little too much world-building in this book... hopefully in subsequent books she can dispense with that tendency and get on with the plot.

acanuckreader's review

First of all, I went into this book thinking that what I was going to get was a light easy read and I was very wrong. It is not light, and often not easy, also it had me flipping back every so often to make sure I was reading right.

I was pleasantly surprised by the character of Cassandra, as more often than not females in this sort of novel are weak and vulnerable, but this is one girl I would not mess with if you paid me too because she is kick ass.

The character of Tomas was originally one I enjoyed, so I was quite surprised at his betrayal, but found that when I'd finished the book I found that refreshing from other novels in the fantasy genre in which characters are given strict roles which do not change much.

I also really liked the intricacy of the mage world, with the role of Pythia being unfurled gradually, and was really proud of Cassandra at the end of this book when she stepped away from her attraction to what I assume will later on be the main male lead.

irridessa's review

First Read 01/02/2012

asweetinferno's review

This book had a lot in it. A lot. There were at some points, times I had to re-read to figure out what had even happened. But in all, holy guacamole this was fantastic. It was unique, not like anything I've read before, and I live the characters.

bmgoodyear's review

2.5 stars

shadarawood's review against another edition

Welcome to the world of Cassie Palmer! This is a series that will have you enthralled from the first book. The battle senses are written vividly enough you can picture them in your head and since they involve, demons, Fey, vampires and Fey that is a colorful world to see through Karen Chance's eyes. I couldn't put this book down and when I reached the end just jumped on the wagon of the series and kept going.

treyaa's review

The back of the book sounded interesting, but for me, it didn't live up to the promise of the blurb. I wound up confused for most of the book, and felt like I was missing some backstory throughout most of it. Will do a bit of research to see if there was a prequel I missed, and will re-read this if I find it, but as it stands currently, it was a bit of a let down for me, though it does still hold some promise. However, since I had a lot of downtime at work today due to rain, it did help make the day go by quickly!

fallenprincess's review

A fairly by the book urban fantasy. That being said I enjoyed the world, characters and their interactions. Tere was lots of action and it kept me interested the whole time. I will be reading the rest of the series.

If you like the Anita Blake series, you should like this one