Reviews tagging Injury/injury detail

The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennett

bethsbookshelf's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective tense medium-paced

Time to review THE BEST PIECE OF FICTION I'VE READ THIS YEAR!

Wow - I loved, loved, loved this book.

Things I loved:

🪴 The writing!! The first thing that pulled me in was the writing. From the first page, I was hooked. From the first chapter, I was emotionally invested. As they say, the characters leaped off the page, and I felt like I was really living their lives with them. The writing is simple, yet rich, and has some stunning and beautiful details. I underlined so many quotes. For instance, "Now, this was comfort - a languid morning spent floating across a swimming pool, a two-story house with cabinets always filled with food, a chestful of toys for her daughter, a bookshelf that held an entire encyclopedia set. This was comfort, no longer wanting anything."
🪴 Speaking of the characters, they were vivid and dimensional and complex and somehow yet, lovable. I understood all of their reasoning and decisions; their motivations and traumas were so thorough. I loved how they all contrasted each other and complemented each other at the same time. The entire cast was so great, even the minor side characters. I could seriously read a whole series about each character.
🪴 The sisterhood relationship between Desiree and Stella. They were polar opposites, but not in a way that felt lazy or stereotypical. One was loud, one was quiet, but they changed and shifted as time moved along. Their relationship was codependent yet completely independent at the same time. They longed for each other and needed each other but also required space from one another to grow. Despite them being apart for most of the book, as a reader, you feel like you're reading about them side by side. The author so fluidly flipped between the two in a way that felt so natural yet so fitting to the story.
🪴 The exploration and portrayal of race. This book exposes both race and what it means to be a victim of it. But it also exposes colourism within the Black community and how people treat each other depending on the various skin tones. Stella and Desiree are both light-skinned Black women with the possibility to pass as white. Stella does, but Desiree doesn't. I can understand both women. One wants to escape racism and live a privileged life; the other wants to be true to herself. Both are valid, and it's racism's fault that this difficult choice exists in the first place. At the end of the day, identity is something we can control slightly, but our roots and true selves will always squeeze through the cracks our masks leave behind.
🪴 The theme of motherhood. Stella and Desiree aren't perfect mothers, but the theme of nature vs. nurture is so poignant yet subtle. I really liked taking notes on this throughout and noticing little things the author did to portray this.

I do think everyone will love something about this book. I hope you pick it up!

quinn12_'s review against another edition

emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

marissasa's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

This multi-generational family book is unique and engaging, and unlike any story I've read before. The concept of identical twins splitting off and living vastly different lives that are complete opposites of each other, and their choices impacting the lives of their daughters in deep ways, is so fascinating on its own and Brit Bennett pulled it off in writing effortlessly and beautifully. Every character felt so fleshed out, flawed, and real, from the main family members to their partners and the side characters supporting them along the way. It was satisfying to read diverse and intersectional issues these characters went through being handled in such a well thought out way, and the author's writing really elevated her story with colorful language and noticeable but skillful use of literary devices. I was engaged throughout and found myself reading faster at times because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I loved the idea she put forward that there comes a point when you have been lying for so long that it becomes true for yourself because it is the reality you've chosen to live and believe. Once this story's television adaptation is ready I will be watching it the day it comes out!

journicanread's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

sib_reads's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

marabdelmageed's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

veronicats's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

adellabianca's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious sad slow-paced

I don’t know why, but when I first heard of this book, I thought I wouldn’t be interested. In reality, it is practically made for me: a mid-century historical fiction where the narrative changes perspective. That’s right up my alley. I loved the way this was written and the way the plot unfolded. My one complaint is that it felt like Desiree didn’t get as much development compared to other characters. Still, I truly loved this, and I would highly recommend it.

azarab's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

An incredible story of two twins from a Louisiana town called Mallard. In which your social currency is how light your skin is. This issue of race and colourism plagues the twins lives. When their lives take different paths they still remain connected in unexpected ways.

This story tackles race, gender and childhood trauma. We watch the twins’ lives transform before our eyes.

My only con of the book is that the timeline at times confuse me.

f18's review against another edition