Reviews tagging Racial slurs

The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennett

mollyp's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

ejsreads's review against another edition

emotional mysterious medium-paced

satuhurme's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

spooksie's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative medium-paced

OMG
THE LAST TWO CHAPTERS????
I AM CRYING
SOBBING
WTF???

BRIT BENNETT WHY

on a more serious note, i loved this book, altough it took me a while to get into, but the ending really does hit like a truck

bethsbookshelf's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective tense medium-paced

Time to review THE BEST PIECE OF FICTION I'VE READ THIS YEAR!

Wow - I loved, loved, loved this book.

Things I loved:

🪴 The writing!! The first thing that pulled me in was the writing. From the first page, I was hooked. From the first chapter, I was emotionally invested. As they say, the characters leaped off the page, and I felt like I was really living their lives with them. The writing is simple, yet rich, and has some stunning and beautiful details. I underlined so many quotes. For instance, "Now, this was comfort - a languid morning spent floating across a swimming pool, a two-story house with cabinets always filled with food, a chestful of toys for her daughter, a bookshelf that held an entire encyclopedia set. This was comfort, no longer wanting anything."
🪴 Speaking of the characters, they were vivid and dimensional and complex and somehow yet, lovable. I understood all of their reasoning and decisions; their motivations and traumas were so thorough. I loved how they all contrasted each other and complemented each other at the same time. The entire cast was so great, even the minor side characters. I could seriously read a whole series about each character.
🪴 The sisterhood relationship between Desiree and Stella. They were polar opposites, but not in a way that felt lazy or stereotypical. One was loud, one was quiet, but they changed and shifted as time moved along. Their relationship was codependent yet completely independent at the same time. They longed for each other and needed each other but also required space from one another to grow. Despite them being apart for most of the book, as a reader, you feel like you're reading about them side by side. The author so fluidly flipped between the two in a way that felt so natural yet so fitting to the story.
🪴 The exploration and portrayal of race. This book exposes both race and what it means to be a victim of it. But it also exposes colourism within the Black community and how people treat each other depending on the various skin tones. Stella and Desiree are both light-skinned Black women with the possibility to pass as white. Stella does, but Desiree doesn't. I can understand both women. One wants to escape racism and live a privileged life; the other wants to be true to herself. Both are valid, and it's racism's fault that this difficult choice exists in the first place. At the end of the day, identity is something we can control slightly, but our roots and true selves will always squeeze through the cracks our masks leave behind.
🪴 The theme of motherhood. Stella and Desiree aren't perfect mothers, but the theme of nature vs. nurture is so poignant yet subtle. I really liked taking notes on this throughout and noticing little things the author did to portray this.

I do think everyone will love something about this book. I hope you pick it up!

amyford's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

the_clueless_tourist's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

sylveaf's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

jamiejanae_6's review against another edition

emotional sad tense medium-paced

erinbarton's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

i appreciate the huge amount of detail into timeline and characterisation that brit bennett has put into this book but the pacing and writing style just wasn’t for me. i found the story to be quite uneventful.
Spoiler the blurb asks “what will happen in the next generation when their daughters’ storylines intersect?” — actually, very little. this part of the story doesn’t happen until about 200 pages in, and then apart from an argument between them they’re just sort of friends for the rest of the book ??? the blurb just sort of hinted there’d be a lot more tension and consequences etc from stella’s secrets coming out but nothing really happened.

however, i can appreciate why other people have loved this book. i like that we got to see the story from desiree, stella, jude and kennedy‘s pov so we get to know each of the women. i also loved reese as a side character and appreciated the parallel’s between his hesitancy/fear of being outed and stella’s fear of her lies being found out.