Reviews tagging 'Car accident'

Adult Assembly Required, by Abbi Waxman

tabbysassy's review

hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

A perfectly enjoyable read, though the romantic buildup sometimes wavered into the realm of repetitive rather than anticipatory, and the villains are laughably bad people.

bluesky5283's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

I loved it. Witty, warm and uplifting. The characters are brilliant and very well written, and I loved how mental health was portrayed. It's filled with clever observations of daily life as small incidental details that make you feel like you're in the world with them.

mswarning's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted slow-paced

It was really sweet, but not a lot happened. It's definitely a slowburn with little payoff. The ptsd portrayal was nice to see and pretty realistic so at least there's that.

ncoletti's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

kelsharr's review

fast-paced

natashaleighton_'s review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

kshertz's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

I love this author and this is a sweet little romcom about bouncing back and finding yourself. It’s about how to be the best version of yourself and how that’s different for everyone. How everyone has setbacks but they only keep you down if you let them. It’s pretty inspirational and has a lot of cute one liners. Not an earth shattering book but I really enjoyed it. I think it makes for a great beach read for sure.

cassielaj's review

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

It’s stupid how much I loved this. Actually, I’m not surprised, because I’ve been obsessed with everything Abbi Waxman writes for the past two years. No other author makes me laugh like AW does, with her dry humor and quirky characters. She balances hilarity with some truly lovely emotional moments, and I love how she gives every character a point of view. This one was more romance-forward than her others, but it was still balanced with personal growth and new friendships, which AW explores so well.

effthecanon's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

First all, I love Abbi Waxman's work and was really looking forward to this one and all in all it delivered. I loved the "found family" feeling, but I did find myself frustrated with the omniscient narrator. This isn't an uncommon narration style for Waxman, but I just felt like it bounced around to so many people and there are so many asides for comic relief that are cute, but I felt a bit pulled away from who I was supposed to care about.

I also found myself frustrated with how slow Laura's character development happened. She's clearly dealing with a lot and I absolutely love how Waxman approached what she's facing, but I would have loved to see glimmers of growth throughout the story, rather than it all just being suggested at the end.

SpoilerI also feel like the clearly toxic and frankly abusive relationships that Laura deals with are glossed over in exchange for just saying that Laura doesn't like confrontation.

It was nice for all of the characters from Waxman's previous LA books to come together, I just felt like by focusing on everyone else, I lost my focus on Laura who I was hoping to really partner with throughout the story. But the romance was sweet, the friendships are top-notch, and Waxman is a master of writing animals which is a skill that should be more appreciated.

serendipitysbooks's review

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Adult Assembly Required is billed and catalogued as a romance yet I’m not sure I agree. It definitely included a romance but the plot itself was more centred on the growth of Laura as she established herself in LA, away from her family and ex-fiancé with all their expectations and judgements, and worked to recover from a traumatic accident. Several of the characters have featured in Waxman’s previous books so it was a bit like catching up with old friends. A warm feel-good read with a quirky ensemble cast.