Take Me Home Tonight, by Morgan Matson

inkdusted's review

DNF at ~23%. Didn't love the characters, felt a little too over the top

bookishshenanigans's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

I didn’t really like the main characters but the side characters were like-able. Morgan Matsons writing style really works for me and her books are enjoyable, this one might have been my least favorite but I’m also 25. I might be getting too old for these high school problems lol

thisisnotastory_graph's review against another edition

Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of Take Me Home Tonight in exchange for an honest review.

Take Me Home Tonight is full of off the wall plot twists, massive coincidences, and a whole lot of zany coincidences. While it was well written, I couldn't help but spend most of the book thinking about how much better the story and pacing would have felt in a film format instead of a book one. It's a fun read, but something about it always felt that little bit off.

julianneharm's review

emotional lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

janefair's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

kimmym's review

(Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.)

I love Morgan Matson’s books, and even though I didn’t totally love her last one, I was so looking forward to this. The synopsis sounded so intriguing, and I love that cover.

I am happy to report that I loved this book! It’s a super fun read. I loved the focus on Kat and Stevie’s friendship, and the way the story took me on their adventures. Honestly, stories that involve miscommunications or bad timing can make me anxious, but this one was a fun ride.

There are a lot of characters, and there is a lot going on but somehow Morgan Matson makes it all work! I laughed, I smiled, I swooned. Recommended!

midsummer's review

Thanks to the publisher and Goodreads for providing me with an ARC!

Take Me Home Tonight is a cute contemporary about two girls, Kat and Stevie, who go to New York for a night and end up separated and alone in the city. But they end the night with new friends and a new direction for their lives. I absolutely adored the setting. The descriptions of New York really felt like I was there, walking along the snowy streets, darting between hordes of people, listening to a cacophony of honking and yelling. It was fast-paced, taking place over the course of only one night disregarding the last two chapters, but I never felt like it was rushed.

Except for Teri's chapters. I'm not really sure about that storyline. The rest of the book was crazy, but it was a believable kind of crazy. Teri's storyline was just a bit insane and could and should have been cut without disrupting the rest of the book. The whole time I was reading those chapters I just wanted to get back to Kat and Stevie.

I loved Kat and Stevie. I loved how Kat grows to decide that maybe she doesn't have to be all in on theater, and she learns to take responsibility for her actions. I also loved how Stevie's storyline centered around her step-siblings and didn't include a romance. Romances are fun, and Kat's is really cute, but I really liked how Stevie could spend time with her new siblings and get closure on her old relationship without having to start a new one.

The cameo from Amy and Roger's Epic Detour nearly made me scream. Actually it wasn't a cameo so much as reintroducing an old character, and I absolutely love how you could read this book without reading AaRED and have it still make sense, but if you've read that one it's like getting to see an old friend again. It's so fun seeing characters from Matson's previous books pop up.

In conclusion, this was such a fun book and I will read anything Morgan Matson writes.

rjnellie's review

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced

emiareads's review

Of course this book was super cute and fun to read because it's Morgan Matson and I'll never not love a Morgan Matson book but no one is talking about how this book had a Kidnapping/Belgian Mafia/Undercover CIA subplot that I was not expecting at all and had absolutely nothing to do with the main storyline and I'm still kind of confused by it but I'm still living for it