Rules For Vanishing, by Kate Alice Marshall

dinipandareads's review against another edition

Who am I even?! I honestly can’t believe I managed to read this because I’m such a chicken and this is normally really not my jam! When I started the book I honestly didn’t know if I could get through it. Being as smart as I am, I started this book past midnight last night and my toes were curling up, I was getting insane goosebumps and full body shivers the whole time. I was TERRIFIED and I truly didn’t know what I was thinking

michaelacopp's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

__mk's review against another edition

I had fun and that's all that matters

csmoore13's review against another edition

Initially, the 2ndary characters are a little hard to tell apart aside from their trope. I couldn't tell you what any of them were wearing aside from the main character. This was probably intentional for when the book is shopped to a film studio. Once the characters reach the actual road the writer catches her stride and the novel is great. The setting, the lore, and the horror are well crafted. The editor should have deleted the last 30 pages or so and left the ending to the readers imagination. Still, if you keep to the parts on the actual road, you'll enjoy yourself.

honeyyyri's review against another edition

considering extensive therapy after reading this

akarapunzl's review against another edition

I heard this marketed as magical realism, and thought the cover was pretty, so I wanted to give it a try. But this was NOT magical realism, in my opinion, was much closer to to fantasy/paranormal horror. I thought it was honestly quite scary and a LOT happened. I’m glad I read it during the day. I thought it dragged for a bit too long, and in the end I’m not entirely sure what happened. Overall, it was fine. Just not really my kind of book.

teenlibrarian's review against another edition

Didn’t expect this horror book. Twisty tale, told in many different ways, texts, cell phone recordings, memories. Took a winding path, but the journey was fun and unpredictable.

mailin_str's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious

bookscoffeeandpassion's review

Reading this book in the dark was probably the stupidest idea I had in a while.
Couldn't sleep after reading it! What a haunting scary ride!

mooandshoe's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

I had a hard time getting into the style of writing at first, but I’m glad I stuck with it. I almost stopped reading at around 18% because the way the interview, text, and video portions were written was very tedious to me at first. However, it picked up around that point and I couldn’t put it down. Super mysterious story that keeps you guessing.
Spoiler The ending kind of confused me a little bit, and I’m not really sure what happened? I think everything got mostly fixed but the report/found footage mysterious style of the ending especially made it a little hard to piece together.