Reviews for A Christmas Revelation, by Anne Perry

melissajayne's review against another edition

It was okay; story for the most part was okay, but felt that the author could have used a few more breaks in the book, especially towards the end.

missjenniferlowe's review against another edition

When 9-year-old Worm, a street urchin who has found a home in the free medical clinic run by wealthy Christine Burroughs and former pimp Squeaky Robinson, sees what he believes to be a kidnapping, he can’t let it go. Squeaky tries everything to distract the boy from this problem and ends up creating a very warm and cozy (not to mention expensive!) Christmas celebration at the clinic. Although bringing joy to everyone at the clinic, the Christmas plans fail to distract Worm and Squeaky knows he has no alternative but to try to help the lady who was taken against her will (or was she?).
I am a big fan of the Christmas mysteries from Anne Perry. To me, one of the best parts about Christmas is that people can be, and try to be, their best selves and this is what this series focuses on. The fact that she takes characters that are bit-players in her series and gives them their own stories appeals greatly to me. It’s kind of like she’s writing her own fan fiction. The books are told from the point of view of these minor characters, giving us a glimpse of inside their minds and letting their voices really shine, albeit briefly. Clearly, Perry fully inhabits the world that she has created and to her none of the characters a minor. They are all fleshed out and fully-imagined, ready to tell their stories. While I have not enjoyed all of the stories, I have found most of them to be pleasant holiday reading and even loved a few (A Christmas Beginning is my favorite). A Christmas Revelation will be enjoyed by new and returning readers alike.

leighannsherwin's review against another edition

Another addition to Anne Perry's Christmas Mysteries. As always a short quick read. This one had more of a Christmas feel to it than the others. It revolves around former street urchin Worm, now living with nurse Claudine Burroughs and about to experience his first real Christmas. Curmudgeonly Squeaky while trying to stay distant from the nine year old Worm, but after the boy witnesses a young woman with light in her hair supposedly being abducted both will be drawn into a situation neither expected. A decent enough story, I loved the interactions between Worm and Squeaky, which were very much like father and son, but there were a few points that were a little far fetched like the fact that Squeaky bore a strong resemblance to another character thought to be murdered five years previously. I get it tgat it was necessary to move the plot along but it did stretch the imagination a bit. Otherwise it was a fast and enjoyable holiday read as usual.

midnightbookgirl's review

A delightful Victorian Christmas mystery!

bitesbooksbrews's review

I give The Christmas Revelation by Anne Perry 5 stars. If you’re looking for a lighter, cozy, Victorian England Christmassy read, don’t look any further. A story of a sweet orphan boy who has a big heart, and good friends who help him out along the way. Perfect read for an afternoon or evening snuggled up with a mug something warm and something sweet to eat. Short enough to not bog down your Christmas reading list, but long enough to develop the characters and make you care about them.