emmysreading's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

tatyana_'s review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

Thank you to NetGalley, Lerner Publishing Group, and the authors for an advanced copy of this book.

I’ve been intrigued with Braiding Sweetgrassfor some time, so when I heard about the YA adaptation I jumped on the opportunity to read it. Robin Wall Kimmerer uses personal experiences, anecdotes, and gathered knowledge to weave together lessons about ecology. The book covers an array of topics including understanding sustainability and reciprocity, gratitude, our relationship with nature, and reclamation.

Throughout the book, I enjoyed the push to reconnect with history and reclaim culture. I also deeply appreciate and respect the frequent reminders that readers should find ways to learn from this information without appropriating Indigenous culture and practices.

I honestly think the YA adaptation of Braiding Sweetgrass is a perfect gift to younger readers. The entire time I was reading, I kept thinking about how I would have benefitted from having this book at a young age. The information is presented in an accessible language without degrading the message or making the reader feel like they are being spoken down to. The illustrations and photographs add to the book's character. I found the sidebar definitions fit in well, and the guided questions kept me engaged with the overall message.

This should be a staple that is reread periodically to fully digest the message. I’ll be recommending this to everyone I can.

readingchristine's review

I thought this was a beautiful introduction to this book. I loved how much you could hear the authors voice while reading it. The way she approaches the subject matter is engaging and delightful, while shedding light on how science can still look at problems too narrowly. I thought it was beautifully written and engaging, and It felt like an read that I could easily learn from. I loved how she highlighted her culture and how it was interwoven into how she views science. I think it was well done and easy to follow and great to learn from!

wanderonwards's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

Thank you to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for sending me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Braiding Sweetgrass is one of those books that I recommend to everyone: I first read it in 2021 and it’s stayed in my mind ever since. For me, it was that exceptional of a read. So it should come as no shock to anyone that I was thrilled to learn there was a young adult adaptation in the works.

This YA version of Braiding Sweetgrass was everything I look for in a young reader’s adaptation: presenting the ideas of the original in an engaging and teen-accessible way while preserving the feeling of the original and offering something new. I don’t have both copies to compare chapter-by-chapter, but the YA version seems to stay fairly true to the original. Of course, not everything can be included, but there are a couple of original essays new to this version. Two of my favorite new additions for the YA adaptation are the incredible illustrations and questions throughout that encourage action and further self-reflection.

Overall, this is an excellent young reader’s adaptation of one of my favorite reads. I will definitely be adding a copy to my library. Thank you again to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for the opportunity to review an ARC.

rusereviews's review against another edition

I read Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer just a few months ago. I recently found out that Monique Gray Smith is adapting it as Braiding Sweetgrass for Young Adults, which is exciting! Thanks to NetGalley, I was provided a sample chapter with illustrations by Nicole Neidhardt. I'm definitely going to be reading the full version once it is released in November 2022.

First of all, Neidhardt's illustrations are breathtaking, and coordinate perfectly with the text on the page. There are also photographs of different plants that are being discussed. I like that there are offset definitions of terms included in the prose, as well, to help the young adults reading the book to understand concepts that might be new to them. There are also offset discussion questions, to help the reader think critically about the text that they are reading. At the end of the sample, there are further discussion questions for even deeper critical thinking about the topics that were brought up in this chapter.

mimio_o's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

booksatlunch's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

juliaelkouby's review against another edition

reflective relaxing slow-paced

chickn_noodle_soup's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

jennyofark's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective relaxing slow-paced