Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé

mellibelly's review against another edition

emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

scjasmine04's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

DEVON MAKES ME BAWL. everything about Devon and his life and everything he goes through makes my heart break.
I struggle to sympathise with Chiamaka because she’s incredibly out of touch. Which I think is the point, she’s been wealthy all her life and has never had to struggle in the way Devon has. Although she was had her challenges and traumas, Devon’s just feel more raw. I kind of wish there was more emotion and vulnerability within Chiamaka’s character. For example, she built herself up from a nobody to someone people “respected”.  she just came across as bitchy and selfish. And I wish there had been more weakness. I get her character was ruthless and driven, but I felt she needed more.
I also wish some of the breakdown of their friendships was more detailed. Like for example, Jack and Devon. I wish there had been a bigger fight or tension or something because not much happened. In each friendship breakdown they kind of had a brief argument and that was it. Also, I felt some of the action of the story was overshadowed by unnecessary detail. Some of the important scenes felt a bit rushed, and I think more attention could have been paid to them rather than more minute details of things.

HOWEVER. This story is gripping and instills a fear that every black person must feel. The fear (and truth realistically) that every institution is out to get you. This is something I will never relate to. And it’s so heartbreaking to know this is reality. The message of this book is powerful, and I think it’s an important book that everybody should read.
Highly recommend!

The reason, for me, that this book isn’t 5 stars is that I thought it was too long. I felt some of the attention to details was unnecessary, and the important parts were overshadowed.

elliez's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

erinlikestoread's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

zluvsreading's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

carousel's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

janaesynai's review against another edition

Okay LOVED this. The message behind this book is huge & I recommend anyone to read it. Definitely had a lot of twists & turns which I love but if it were me, I wouldn’t be able to trust anyone in this book. Predominately white school & it seems like everyone had it out for them.

In the beginning I didn’t really like Chiamaka because of her personality. Also, I didn’t think it was really necessary to have her like girls as well. It was just kinda off to me that Devon & her liked the same sex & they were mainly the only black characters in the book. They should’ve just left it at Devon.

Not going to spoil the ending but I’m just definitely happy they got the happy ending they deserved. I still don’t like that damn Terrell but maybe y’all will.

Overall, loved this book & all it had to offer. I DON’T read synopsis before I read a book lol so I really thought this was a fantasy read. 4.5 stars but bumped it to 5 !

riveting_reads's review against another edition

3.5 stars. This book has a very powerful message and the author’s note at the back of the book was incredible! I was so gripped for the first part of the book and the last; however, I just wanted it to be a little shorter. This is just a personal preference but that’s why it wasn’t 4 stars for me.

ahenkel's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

livia07's review

dark emotional lighthearted tense medium-paced