The Seven Dials Mystery, by Agatha Christie

cynthiam's review against another edition

A house full of guests play a prank on one who has a lot of trouble getting up in the morning: they set eight alarm clocks to go off in his room beginning at 6:30am. But when morning comes, the late sleeper is dead and there are seven clocks neatly lined up on the mantle in his room, as if that is some sort of message. Typical Agatha Christie novel here, leaving the reader trying to keep track of the characters and figure out whodunnit. No Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot this time though, but instead the capable Superintendent Battle. I did find the twists and turns of who did what, with whom, when a little hard to keep track of. Maybe I was tired. But, as a result this one only barely gets 3 stars from me.

saralibrary's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

franciscangypsy's review

I had enjoyed the previous book, “The Secret of the Chimneys”... this one was even more enjoyable! The twists were fun and the book was exciting! And my, do I love Superintendent Battle and the hero and heroine! Top notch! This is a new favorite!

lauradz's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

mushisly's review against another edition

Je suis une grande fan d'Agatha Christie. Chacun des livres de cette auteure que j'ai pu lire m'ont impressionnée par le génie qui se cache derrière ces intrigues et ces dénouements toujours imprévisibles.

Pourtant, ce roman-ci est un petit bémol. J'ai nettement apprécié ma lecture, rapide, agréable, prenante et stimulante. Les personnages sont typiques des romans d'Agatha Christie : pleins de flegme britannique et terriblement intriguants. Pourtant, moi qui ai d'habitude énormément de mal à deviner la fin des histoires de cette romancière, j'ai ici trouvé le mystère bien moins opaque. Je n'avais bien sûr pas toutes les clés, mais certaines révélations m'ont parues évidentes plusieurs chapitres avant qu'elles apparaissent au personnage. C'est légèrement décevant...

En soit, cela reste une lecture agréable qui permet de passer du bon temps !

kristinakaldenbach's review against another edition

So, about halfway, maybe three-fourths way, through this book, I was certain I had it all figured out and wasn't going to be surprised by the ending. Oh, how I was wrong! She isn't called the Queen of Mystery for no reason! This took a very unexpected turn that I absolutely loved. My mouth was definitely just hanging open for the last couple of chapters. So good.

ana_rrch13's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

rosullivan's review against another edition

Há anos que não lia um policial, ou Agatha Christie, for that matter. Julgo não poder retirar-lhe mérito, porque a sua escrita é, sem margem para dúvidas, engenhosa e empolgante. É bom ser "agarrado" por um livro, e sentir toda a aventura que ele contém.
Desde as personagens, à trama, ao final inesperado. É tudo bom!
Isto é entretenimento ao mais alto nível. Quem necessita de séries televisivas, quando temos um bom livro e a imaginação?

christinecraft's review

An ok mystery with a decent plot. The surprise ending is the best part.

srijoninandy's review against another edition

"You ought to have told him what you thought of him. "
"Unfortunately modern civilization rules that out."

I didn't know what the book was about before I started reading it. Usually, I read the summary on Goodreads, but in this case the summary was in Spanish (I think so), and I didn't feel like googling. So this was kind of a blind date with the book.

The beginning was quite promising. The plot was engaging. Though Superintendent Battle couldn't charm me in the same way as Poirot or Miss Marple, but there were other more likeable characters instead. My favorite would be Lord Caterham, a funny old man who hates everything that involves even a small amount of effort from his side.

Inspite of it all, ending wasn't satisfactory. There were more red herrings than actual clues. When I read Christie's books, I want to be able to solve the mystery along with the protagonist. But here the reader is a mere audience with no tools to find out the real killer.

But it was a good adventure book with a smart female protagonist, which I loved. Not brain stimulating, but entertaining.

If you've read the book, by any chance did Superintendent Battle remind you of Colonel Race?