Reviews for The Original Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams Bianco

nerdishmum's review

emotional sad fast-paced

I kind of just feel... meh... about this story. It's nice enough, just didn't grab me. I am tired and cranky though so may re review later.

hayleysreads's review

lighthearted relaxing fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

loudgls89's review

emotional hopeful sad fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

Before I read this book, I felt like I was very familiar with the story. I never read it as a child, but since using the Calm meditation app, this has become my favourite sleep story read by Anna Acton.

It turns out, however, that the sleep story is so good at its job that I was only really familiar with the first quarter of the book and the rest was completely unknown.

If you’ve not read it, the story is about a toy rabbit made from velveteen (which is apparently a fabric that imitates velvet – may seem obvious but yes, I googled it!). He’s bought for a boy for Christmas, but quickly becomes forgotten about in favour of other flashier toys.

He speaks to another toy called the Skin Horse about what it means to become real, and from that point on it’s all he wants. And when it looks like he might be about to get his wish, something happens to get in the way. I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I won’t say anymore.

I thought it was such a sweet story about childhood love, and although it definitely brought tears to my eyes, there were funny bits too, like when the velveteen rabbit comes face to face with some real rabbits.

I wish I’d read this as a child, and I’ll definitely be saving this book to come back to in future.

Posted on: https://emmaloui.se/2021/01/24/margery-williams-the-velveteen-rabbit/

papercrowns's review

I guess I hadn't cried enough tonight.

imperfectcj's review

Gennady Spirin's beautiful illustrations enhance a classic story that held my children in rapt attention. The rabbits look more like hares, but that didn't bother us.

mortelle's review

This book is a classic staple of childhood and it definitely stands up to many re-readings with age. I will always enjoy the tale of the little rabbit who was loved so much that he became real.

guildmistress's review

A classic tale, beautifully illustrated. I read this to my class of wriggly 8-9 year olds and they were still and quiet the whole time! One of the best reading sessions we've had all year!

caterinaanna's review

I know this book from of old, even though I have never owned a copy nor am I sure I have actually read it before! I may have first come across it in a sermon sometime, or perhaps as late as a nostalgic late-night university discussion of children's books ... or I may have borrowed it from the library in my childhood, I really don't remember. It deals with the same theme as the fox part of [b:Le Petit Prince|157993|The Little Prince|Antoine de Saint-Exupéry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350961171s/157993.jpg|2180358] although at greater length and in a more culturally fixed context - were I to read it to one of my nieces I would have to explain why the poor rabbit was discarded as things have moved on so since the tale was written.
Still a lovely story, and hugely powerful given its length. Must remember to add to my wish-list 2.

rohaniroslan's review

This was such a beautiful story and I wish I had read this when I was younger.

"Of what use was it to be loved and lose one's beauty and become Real if it all ended like this?"

I found this quote deeply touching, and like the little Rabbit, I cried too! I'd love to read this to my children one day.