The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois, by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers

missgcedar's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

emilyjensen's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

kristyarobinson's review

Stunning, heartbreaking, and will stay with me for a long time.

emilee_cutright's review

At 800 pages, this one was super intimidating to me, but I’m so glad I picked it up. Not once did I ever lose interest. Jeffers perfectly marries multiple story- and timelines without missing a beat. Ailey’s family story is engrossing, I’ll definitely read this one again.

jinjer's review against another edition

How did I not hear about this Oprah pick until just today (Oct 3, 2021)???? Jumped on the library waiting list...estimated wait time is 14 weeks. lol How many months is that? 3 1/2? Ok see you in mid-January then.

UPDATE: This book was a "skip the line" book so I actually got to read it this week! Since I only had 7 days to complete it, I divided the amount of pages by 7 and made sure to read as close to that many pages as possible, knowing I had all day Saturday and Sunday to catch up.

I don't have time to write a proper review AND I didn't have time to take any notes or anything, so, all I can say is this book was 1000% amazing and I highly recommend it. I felt so much for all the characters...good and bad. Love for the good and sheer hatred for the bad. My favorite character is, of course, Uncle Root and can't you just SEE him played by Randall's Dad in This is Us, Ron Cephas Jones? He has to play him. He must. Anyway, hurry up and turn this into a series, Netflix, Hulu, or HBO Max.

drwozniak's review

This is phenomenal. It is difficult. It is a necessary read. The fabric of this story and the family is woven with love and care. So intricate and precise. Simply amazing. One of the best works of historical fiction I’ve ever read.

mlorenzo18's review

4.5 stars

vwojtowicz's review

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

dylcoop's review

challenging emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective tense fast-paced

squidlytentacles's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced