The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country, by Amanda Gorman

giorgiareadsbooks's review

Perfection

envy_1111's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

vanallenemily's review against another edition

“For there is always light,
If only we’re brave enough to see it,
If only we’re brave enough to be it.”

hmcendree's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

onceandfuturelaura's review against another edition

Hella optimistic, but acknowledges some hard truths. ("We've seen a force that would shatter our nation rather than share it . . .")

divine529's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced
I, like many others, first heard this poem recited at Biden's Inauguration and it stuck with me ever since.

I finally got around to reading it (as I listened to Amanda Gorman read it, because I truly believe that poetry is best experienced out loud - whether I'm reading it out loud myself, or listening to it as I read along, I personally don't like to experience poetry in silence) and it's just as incredible, inspiring, thought-provoking and emotional as when I heard it for the first time.

If you haven't read or listened to this poem yet, you really should. Even if you're not from the U.S., I think this could resonate with people all over.

Definitely one of my favorites and one I plan to revisit time and time again.

thereadingbel's review against another edition

The Hill We Climb by Amanda Gorman

I loved this poem and I loved watching her deliver this on Inauguration of Joe Biden. I remember listening and tears falling from my eyes and feeling glad that this women delivered a beautiful poem that touched me deep to my core. Thank you Amanda for that and thank you for the words.

libbyluigs's review against another edition

Hard to not be moved by this one - wow.

"But one thing is certain.
If we merge mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy and change our children's birthright."

snorthington's review against another edition

I adored this piece of poetry when Amanda delivered it at the inauguration, but reading it six months later, I love it even more. Her imagery, her flow, her passion and her call to action are affirming and beautiful - a vision of what we can be at our best. This work is soul filling in the best way!

beatricehill's review against another edition

So incredible to hear this poem performed by Amanda Gorman. Equally as beautiful to read this poem on a printed page. The yellow book jacket is divine too.