Reviews for The Elusive Pimpernel, by Emmuska Orczy

rlangemann's review

So far, next best to The Scarlet Pimpernel. A leetle mushy in parts, but there are some great and hilarious Sir Percy vs. Chauvelin scenes.

breebers's review

The more of these novels I read, the more I am able to look past, and generally skim through, the heavier bits of prose which plod along and don't much further the plot. However, the more I read, the more I also become inescapably enraptured with the characters. I fume whenever Chauvelin plots the destruction of the League, or does not see his malice as such. I facepalm when Marguerite acts in haste, not placing faith in her husband's keen mind, or rushing in to a situation out of blind love. I swoon when Percy appears seemingly out of nowhere with his apparent flippancy and indolence, only to cast aside that mask and show the true man underneath in brief flashes of epic heroism and passion.
Also, when Percy completely loses his temper at the threat of Marguerite being carted off to torture, it pretty much sealed for me that he is the most perfect fictional man to ever exist.

kesterbird's review against another edition

This novel is a product of its time, and I shouldn't hold that against it. But holy HELL the style is hard to get past. The entire first chapter is as though every punctuation mark!
every period! comma! semicolon!
all of them!
were replaced with exclamation points!
And then every exclamation point became a paragraph marker!
I couldn't read it aloud. it's not even possible It did calm down a little after that, but even so.

Still, I like the story well enough, and I've enjoyed radio adaptions of these stories. Not sure I'll bother with any more of the originals, though.

cwhit's review against another edition

This felt like a rehash of the first book. I like Percy as an early superhero, but I tire of Marguerite trying to help and making things even worse as she always seems to do. A bit too melodramatic for my taste. I’m done with the series, at least for now.

ladyhighwayman's review

Not as charming as the first book, but it had it's moments.

Absolutely adored the scenes with Percy. And I felt myself holding my breath waiting to find out how he was going to get out of that dreadful bind at the end. Sink me! He's a genius.

The chapters from Marguerite's point of view were absolutely excruciating. Could there be a dumber heroine? And I could do without the repeatedness of how god damn good looking the characters are. We get it, Baroness. Good lord.