Reviews tagging Abortion

Before the Coffee Gets Cold, by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

sophie_visentin's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

kestrel's review against another edition

emotional funny medium-paced

I really like the concept: a normal place like a cafe, but there is a magical element to it. Although it reminded me a little of the kdrama Mystic Pop-Up Bar, this book lacked the impact. All 4 stories were very on the surface level and, frankly, pretty sexist. The last story, especially, disappointed me a lot, considering the dangerous message it sends and made me think about the rest of the stories more carefully. I realized that all of them had the female character compromise with what the society expected from her, even if it meant sacrificing her time, dreams, or life.
Men-talk-with-women-before-writing-about-them-challenge!

allthewayfromatoz's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective relaxing medium-paced

navayiota's review

hopeful inspiring mysterious sad slow-paced

Very slow and repetitive at first. The later 2/3 parts get better.

ntvenessa's review

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

At times the writing is needlessly repetitive and frustrating, but overall a wonderful, emotional novella with a message of hope.

alannakitty97's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

beeswithasthma's review

emotional reflective fast-paced

-!spoilers!-

ok, similar to my last review (i really need to sort out my time management) i am in fact writing this at 1 am so this may be a bit of a bad review but i know i will forget so.
overall, i really liked the plot of this book, and it made me think a lot about the issues with time travel as ultimately there is a problem with what happens if you change the future/past.
a few of my favourite bits were:
the end of the first part when the ghost lady closed her book and it was called “ the lovers”, i thought that was very sweet and made me smile
the very last paragraph, yeah i cant really remember it but i remember it was good
hirai moving back in with her parents

however, (i mean barely a however) the reason why i havent rated this over 3.25 stars is just really because it didnt make me cry. i understood it was sad eg the dementia bit with fusagi, but nothing was described to the point of my tears, however sad it made me
another thing was just that it wasnt my favourite i guess, im not sure, it was a good book dont get me wrong but it wasnt like a  g o o d  book you know?
(im slightly tired i have been up till 2 for the last few nights, dont mind my bad review)

but yeah pretty good book :)

(also dont mind how many content warnings i put, i was just messing around ((all true thoufh)) and scrolled through all of them and selected the ones that fit)

thomas_ryan04's review

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

There's so much I wanted to love about this book, but there's also so much that I did love about this book. It was a book of two halves for me, really - the concept was fantastic and at the core of the story lies some really hard-hitting and thought-provoking messages. It really makes you consider, just as the first page says: If you could go back, who would you want to meet?

What I wanted more of from this book was character. Character, character, character - it's what was clearly missing. Kawaguchi gave too many details about each character which stops the reader from forming their own images - something which, I think, is extremely important in a book. It's important to allow the reader to take a moment to think about the character and their situation. Too much of the story is character-driven (with too much detail) whereas I would have liked more emphasis put on the plot and the wonderful 'time travelling' concept.

Will I read the second book? Quite possibly - but maybe not straight away. The fourth chapter really gripped me the most, the only one I read in one sitting, actually

mme_carton's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

pn__'s review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced