Reviews tagging Abandonment

Before the Coffee Gets Cold, by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

manatsu's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

danipanini's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

As I needed something waaaay lighter after reading 1984 HAHA I finally set aside the time to read this short yet sweet novel. It read as if a literal cup of coffee to perfectly start your day, warm and comforting and familiar.

For me, its subtle beauty is one that sinks in later than expected, slowly creeping up on you after a night's sleep when you remember that you did read this book. Again, it's a short book you can read in a day if you read quick, so in your rush to finish it, one can easily dismiss it as well. In fact while reading it, I couldn't catch the appeal at first. By the end, I finally pieced it together.

Its universal themes of life, death, and love can touch anyone. Its characters are both rooted in reality so you can easily relate to them. The stories sound cliche but are told in the simplest and most sparing way with no frills, and in that way makes it beautiful in its simplicity. Nothing is too complicated. It simply aims to tell the age-old story of the importance and value of human connection.

It's a quiet masterpiece that's very elegant in its execution, the kind of book that brings a smile to your face and warm feeling in your body when you remember it. It's not an instant favorite, but I love it all the same. Crossing my fingers in hopes that the second installment lives up to the first.

navayiota's review

hopeful inspiring mysterious sad slow-paced

Very slow and repetitive at first. The later 2/3 parts get better.

ntvenessa's review

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

At times the writing is needlessly repetitive and frustrating, but overall a wonderful, emotional novella with a message of hope.