Magnolia Parks by Jessa Hastings

eguerrero's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

Wow.

ami_booklog's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense medium-paced

natalie_deane's review against another edition

1.5

I put off reading this for awhile because I had a feeling it wasn't going to live up to the hype for me...and...well 😬 There were so many times I almost dnf'ed this, but I kept convincing myself, surely, something had to happen that was actually a plot device and not solely two bland, dysfunctional rich people treating each other—and nearly everyone else in their lives—terribly. But, no, that was the "plot," supplemented with melodramatic figurative language that felt like it was meant to distract you from the fact that this was a poorly conceived story. And I'm okay with books being more character-driven, but for me, BJ and Magnolia were somehow both too unlikable to be characters you root for and too one-dimensional to be complex characters you love to hate. I actually found myself wanting to know more about the side characters, like Bridget, Henry, and Tom, who seemed to be the only semi-rational (and I say semi, because they were still deranged) characters in this series.

I like mess, but this mess wasn't particularly entertaining. And, weirdly, the book was far too long but also didn't include enough details that actually made me feel connected to the characters and their story? By the last 100 pages, I was so fed up and just really wanted to throw my book every time Magnolia insisted on naming every. Single. Designer. Item. a person was wearing.
I also truly cannot believe that there was so much hype around how upset Magnolia was about BJ overdosing in the past, and yet, SHE STARTED DATING HIM AGAIN AFTER FINDING OUT HE WAS USING. And they didn't even have a real conversation about it to get past the conflict. Like, my mind was truly blown. Who greenlit this book in its current state??
I'm trying to think of something positive to say. I mean...I did finish this and hope that, at some point, I would be interested in the characters. And I laughed a little here and there. So I guess that's something?

kristenhayes11's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense slow-paced

rachel0802's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective tense medium-paced

adeeba_ahmed's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

emptyharmony's review

DNF @ 25%

I don’t have the patience for this. Tortured rich people toxic romance is not my thing.

ashreadstuff's review

wish i recorded my reaction the way my face fell the last two chapters i almost ripped the pages out just to pretend it didn’t happen. but great book probably gained a million gray hairs from everything that happened

acohrh's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

tarafague's review against another edition

emotional funny sad medium-paced