The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson

hotdamnitsanna's review

existing outside of all kinds of binaries! what a concept!

angelbear432's review

challenging hopeful reflective

vivianej's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

crownofsage's review

The style / structure wasn’t my thing at first and made it difficult to get into for me. But I think it was worth it to persevere and finish this one.

sadgirlslovebooks's review against another edition

a thought provoking and poignant study on gender and being queer, especially loved reading this as a new mother. the last 20-25 pages of the book were unbelievably good.

camicarreno's review against another edition

Amé este libro. Siento que me abrió mucho la cabeza en muchos temas. Es una mezcla de memorias y ensayo sobre la autora y su experiencia con su pareja –una mujer que transiciona a hombre– y el proceso de tener un hijo. Habla sobre el ser mujer, ser trans, lo queer, la cuerpa, el embarazo, el ser madre, el arte, los roles de género, los estereotipos, los prejuicios, el amor, la vida y, por supuesto, la muerte.

kellyw711's review

the majority of this book was very theory based, which I wasn’t expecting. i had read bluets before this, which was very stream or consciousness. i definitely appreciated the theory and education aspects of this book, but it wasn’t what I was expecting and it had me losing interest at times. i do appreciate the unapologetic honesty in her writing and story though.

BUT THEN. my GOD the last like. 25 pages? insane. it was such a slow burn till then. truly had me on the actual edge of my seat. a beautiful last couple pages too. it reminded me why i loved her writing in bluets so much. couple problematic things in her opinions and anecdotes imo and some of it gave a little white savior vibes, but truly overall was very interesting. 3.5 stars, 5 star ending 100%. and very very queer! happy pride

jashegerova's review

Arguably the best book I’ve read this year, though I can’t be sure because I don’t actually remember everything that I’ve read so far. Doesn’t matter. What I mean to say is - god, what a treat.

As someone absolutely uninterested in the topic of motherhood I really would not have gotten my hands on this had everyone (and their mother, according to instagram) not read and raved about this funky book by an author I’ve never heard of before; and even then, i probably wouldn’t’ve included it on my christmas list if I had bothered to read the summary which makes a valiant attempt at describing a book that contains such multitudes (in so few pages!).

Nelson absolutely blew me away, knocked my socks off, made me sob with job. Most importantly this book is permeated with proof that one can find total acceptance and be desired, warts and all. It contains sentences and paragraphs more reassuring than anything I’ve heard before. The book is so tender, so well-written, so funny.

The Argonauts is charming and smart, it requires (demands, even) your attention and is absolutely unapologetic about it. I tore through the first two thirds in a haze because I could not stand to not be reading, and then kept putting it off, dreading the end. And if that’s not the sign of a good book then I don’t know what is.

kellykat39's review

reflective medium-paced

shimmery's review

A thoughtful, moving book about love, sex, relationships, motherhood, death and identity (how these things comprise it and how our identities go beyond these things) told through a queer lens.