I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

ponyespresso's review against another edition

I can’t think straight anymore.

emilykayvsthelibrary's review against another edition

challenging dark fast-paced

shreeviknesh's review against another edition

4.5/5. Mindfuck.

mccarleyjane's review against another edition

Plot twist: maybe I can actually handle thrillers. This was wild. And no, I will not be watching the new Netflix adaptation.

solitqire's review against another edition

man... this book fucked me up

brigitte521's review against another edition

Doubting between 2 or 3 stars.

Not fully sure what I think about it. Unfortunately I got the ending spoiled before I read the book, and therefor my experience was different from what it could (should) have been. Ofcourse this is not the book's fault, but it nevertheless affected how i experienced the climax. Ending aside, i thought this book was 'okay'. I liked it untill they got at the school, from there on i realised I didn't care as much. Maybe my expectations were too high.

+ Uncomfortable feeling throughout the book
+ Narrator of the audiobook did a real good job.
+ Mysterious aspects (the dead animals, the parents, the school).
+ Some food for thought from the conversations between Jake and I-perspective
+ Switch of voices freaked me out a little (part where one line is repeated)
+ Almost the whole book is 'written' by Jake

- didn't really care for the characters
- whole thing at the school didn't catch my interest. At all.
- felt as if a lot of 'clues' given throughout the story, weren't mentioned or reflected upon at all in the end. (Of course, that's why the author suggests you read it again, but starting at the end).

Note. I probably would have cared more if I didn't know that the whole story was imagined by Jake. I can't say how i would have rated and experienced this book if I would not have known.

martinaj's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

joshuarankine9's review against another edition

Ok, I'm torn. On one hand - WOW the intricate plot details, and how it all comes together is *chef's kiss*. I truly think I will have to go back and read this again to appreciate it. On the other hand, I'm annoyed. I wanted more of an actual resolution and I kinda hate when authors just wrap up all of their loose ends with "oh it was mental illness!". I also found some of the dialogue annoying but I can move past that. I can see why people both love and hate this book, but I think I fall somewhere in the middle, at least for now.

nathaliam's review against another edition

Oh, como detesto o modo de classificação desse site. Três estrelas: pouco. Quatro estrelas: muito.
Por isso minha classificação verdadeira é: três estrelas e meio.

"Você ficará com medo. Mas não saberá porquê..."

É exatamente isso. Durante toda a leitura desse livro sentia uma sensação estranha, como se algo estivesse muito errado mas sem saber o que ou o porquê. As pessoas, os lugares, os diálogos, as ligações, até mesmo a comida... tudo. Não havia nada de normal nessa história. E o sentimento piorava conforme ia avançando por ela.

"Às vezes um pensamento está mais próximo da verdade, da realidade, do que uma ação. Você pode dizer qualquer coisa, pode fazer qualquer coisa, mas não pode forjar um pensamento."

É até um tanto grotesco de pensar que esse livro fez com que eu refletisse — juntamente com a narradora da história — sobre relacionamento e existência. Sobre a vida.

Certamente um livro que te deixará mortificado, mexendo, assim, com seu psicológico.

gabbydoesntread's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced