Reviews tagging Death

I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

julied's review against another edition

challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

laylashine_hey's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book is really good and keeps you hooked! Lots of triggers in the book so look out for that if you need warnings. The ending is very hard to follow, but overall made sense in the end. I would give this 5 stars but the ending is a little difficult to understand. 😁

goobertk's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” Slow burning and confusing, taking place over the span of 1 evening, this book will have you questioning things the entire time. is the main character being treated poorly? is she being gaslit? what is going on? why isn’t he telling her anything? why won’t he listen to her? those are all questions i had while reading this book. those questions didn’t get answered until the very end. it’s a very quick read but the slow burn aspect will make you wonder how long you’ve actually been reading. the conversations the main characters have can be incredibly dull and boring, but it really is kind of like that in a relationship. not every conversation is going to be interesting, and not every conversation you have will be interesting to others. this book ends sort of the way that the outsiders does, but that isn’t necessarily as clear, so i recommend that once you finish, you go back and re read the first couple pages. maybe even just the 1st page could be helpful, it really ties the story together completely. the imagery was unsettling and the story telling was great. all in all, 3.5/5 just because i was confused for a lot of it and it was too slow for my liking. but it is a good and suspenseful read good for a spooky season one-sitting book or even a cold and comfy evening when you’re in the mood to be unsettled.

solasuaine's review against another edition

challenging dark tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

abigailkokitus's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

❗️ This review contains spoilers ❗️

Frankly I wish I’d read this before seeing the movie. I went into the book already knowing the twist at the end. However, it was incredibly well written and unsettling and I’m glad I read it regardless. I actually think I like it a bit better than the movie. In the movie there’s a focus on Jake’s feelings of failure/lack of success contributing to his suicide, whereas in the book the main reason for him committing suicide is that he has reached the point where he can no longer endure being alone. I really felt for Jake as a character too. I felt sorry for him, and also like I could empathize with him. One thing that was a bit confusing to me was trying to determine how much of the story was what was in Jake’s notebooks, and how much was “real life”. I think that when Jake saw the janitor in the window of the school was where the notebook story ended, because it was like reality was bleeding into his fantasy, which explains why he was so upset and angry as well. Overall super thought-provoking and interesting. I will probably read it again.

fedelikeslego's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced

Non riesco almeno per ora a concepirlo ancora come uno dei miei libri preferiti, ma era tanto che qualcosa non mi faceva sentire così tanto a disagio, ho dovuto lasciare frasi a metà parecchie volte, scritto divinamente. Un CLIMAX strepitoso, il disagio come ho detto lo provi proprio, ho adorato i piccoli dettagli che hanno sottolineato il CLIMAX, come i capitoli che diventano sempre più lunghi, infiniti, estenuanti, stancanti, un romanzo claustrofobico. Il modo in cui si arriva al finale ugualmente bello, mi rattristava solo il fatto di saperlo già, è questo che non mi ha fatto fare quel click. Ma 5 stelle comunque perché ha davvero rispettato le mie alte aspettative. Adoro in oltre le considerazioni fatte su tanti argomenti, la vita, la morte, le relazioni, mi sarebbe piaciuto sottolinearle ma ci ho fatto caso troppo tardi e per ora non penso di rivolerlo leggere

jezebelligerent's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

windbreak's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

like a cartoon bully or soemthign in that he grabs u by ur shirt collar in the beginnign and ur like oh shit this is it and ur sweating but then he has to go sing in the musical so he'll deal with u later punk. and then the book ends

leyzchips's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

ritapisk's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This is the most stressful thing I've ever read. You think it's kind of slow and then everything goes to hell. Pay attention to all detail, everything matters. Go into this book COLD. Do not watch any reviews or read ANY summaries because whatever you think it's about, it's not about that.