Reviews tagging Panic attacks/disorders

I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

goobertk's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” Slow burning and confusing, taking place over the span of 1 evening, this book will have you questioning things the entire time. is the main character being treated poorly? is she being gaslit? what is going on? why isn’t he telling her anything? why won’t he listen to her? those are all questions i had while reading this book. those questions didn’t get answered until the very end. it’s a very quick read but the slow burn aspect will make you wonder how long you’ve actually been reading. the conversations the main characters have can be incredibly dull and boring, but it really is kind of like that in a relationship. not every conversation is going to be interesting, and not every conversation you have will be interesting to others. this book ends sort of the way that the outsiders does, but that isn’t necessarily as clear, so i recommend that once you finish, you go back and re read the first couple pages. maybe even just the 1st page could be helpful, it really ties the story together completely. the imagery was unsettling and the story telling was great. all in all, 3.5/5 just because i was confused for a lot of it and it was too slow for my liking. but it is a good and suspenseful read good for a spooky season one-sitting book or even a cold and comfy evening when you’re in the mood to be unsettled.

racheljones's review against another edition

challenging dark tense medium-paced

keen's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

I love surreal horror. I love surrealism in general. This book was one long strange experience from start to finish. It was painfully tense. As I described it to friends, it had "bad vibes."

Based on my own anxiety disorder and dissociative episodes, this entire book felt like one long anxiety attack. It felt like I was dissociating. Nothing felt right. Everything was off, slightly to the right, slightly to the left. Putting my finger on specific parts that made me feel that way didn't help me express why it did. Like a  dissociative experience, explaining it to people who haven't dissociated (or, in this case, haven't read the book) would be confusing.

This is not a book if you aren't interested in self-reflection, philosophy, or a semi-slow pace. The offness of everything might help keep your attention, and there are several key events in the book, but it's not particularly fast either. You need to be patient and attentive for the story to settle in. Even then, you might want to reread it. I'll definitely be going back to analyze passages, maybe entire chapters, to see what I missed and how everything built up upon each other.

booomkitten's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

rebelstorm's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

4,3/5
Quality of writing: 5
Plot development: 4
Pace: 4
Characters: 4
Enjoyability: 4
Ease of reading: 5

luckydragonnerd's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective tense medium-paced

this is an objectively good book, but i guess i just wasn't in the right mood. m expectations were also pretty high so that probably had a part in me not liking it as much.

farmerzonly's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

after being in a reading rut for a while i finally got back into novels with this one and I’m SO GLAD i did. i watched the movie first so i knew the end of the narrative which really let me relax and get into it without worrying about the plot that much. the end was soooo jarring and spooky as hell. the book was overall much more satisfying than the movie. brb going to read foe now.