Reviews tagging Suicidal thoughts

I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

julied's review against another edition

challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

kyanite's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

haunting, chilling, mindfuck

goobertk's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” Slow burning and confusing, taking place over the span of 1 evening, this book will have you questioning things the entire time. is the main character being treated poorly? is she being gaslit? what is going on? why isn’t he telling her anything? why won’t he listen to her? those are all questions i had while reading this book. those questions didn’t get answered until the very end. it’s a very quick read but the slow burn aspect will make you wonder how long you’ve actually been reading. the conversations the main characters have can be incredibly dull and boring, but it really is kind of like that in a relationship. not every conversation is going to be interesting, and not every conversation you have will be interesting to others. this book ends sort of the way that the outsiders does, but that isn’t necessarily as clear, so i recommend that once you finish, you go back and re read the first couple pages. maybe even just the 1st page could be helpful, it really ties the story together completely. the imagery was unsettling and the story telling was great. all in all, 3.5/5 just because i was confused for a lot of it and it was too slow for my liking. but it is a good and suspenseful read good for a spooky season one-sitting book or even a cold and comfy evening when you’re in the mood to be unsettled.

murmurations_x's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

When I originally picked up this book months back I couldn't get into it whatsoever and I left it unfinished. I picked it up again purposely seeking out autumn thrillers and horrors for October and I couldn't put it down this time, I was actively looking forward to my commute to keep reading.
Spoiler I wasn't finding it particular unsettling until the high school, and oh my that imagery of the care taker crawling along the floor was so eerie and potent from then I was even more hooked. Though I did find myself a little underwhelmed by the twist ending, granted it was executed masterfully I just was hoping for a different direction for the ending.

I think I would of rated it higher but I found the driving to the parents house chapters too drawn out - intentional maybe?, the house sequence too short, but the ending sequences were fantastic, the horror elements here were superb and eerie in a way a book as not made me feel in quite some time. It's a quick read too.

briannasam's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

dizzyindecision's review against another edition

dark mysterious

I feel similarly about this book as I did about the movie adaptation: I really wanted to love it but was ultimately disappointed. I definitely prefer the book over the movie though.

oneinamilli's review against another edition

dark informative mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

wiley_coyote's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

nitnatbug's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

fedelikeslego's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced

Non riesco almeno per ora a concepirlo ancora come uno dei miei libri preferiti, ma era tanto che qualcosa non mi faceva sentire così tanto a disagio, ho dovuto lasciare frasi a metà parecchie volte, scritto divinamente. Un CLIMAX strepitoso, il disagio come ho detto lo provi proprio, ho adorato i piccoli dettagli che hanno sottolineato il CLIMAX, come i capitoli che diventano sempre più lunghi, infiniti, estenuanti, stancanti, un romanzo claustrofobico. Il modo in cui si arriva al finale ugualmente bello, mi rattristava solo il fatto di saperlo già, è questo che non mi ha fatto fare quel click. Ma 5 stelle comunque perché ha davvero rispettato le mie alte aspettative. Adoro in oltre le considerazioni fatte su tanti argomenti, la vita, la morte, le relazioni, mi sarebbe piaciuto sottolinearle ma ci ho fatto caso troppo tardi e per ora non penso di rivolerlo leggere