Reviews tagging Suicide

I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

gizley0420's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

julied's review against another edition

challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

oharamboure's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

SpoilerI think this is the kind of book that needs to sit with you for a while. When I first finished it, I was extremely confused, so I researched what happens at the end. Once the pieces were slowly falling into place for me, I was hit with waves of realizations that made the book post-humorously sad(?).
 Even without the twist, this book touches on many interesting philosophical questions about relationships, what it means to be an individual in a partnership, and the complicated issue of deciding when the end things.

lern's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

eitakbackwards's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

Bit of a mind fuck at the end.

Read this over Halloween weekend for some spooky vibes. I think it does do a good job of slowly cranking up the tension with classic devices like the creepy remote buildings, long drives in the dark etc. It definitely has get out vibes for the first half. And you do want the character to literally Get Out Of There.

The twist is good, I was kind of guessing at it through the book and something close did cross my mind but wasn't convinced enough for that to spoil the reveal. I like creepy stories that leave you kind of wondering on the finer details at the end so was glad there was room for intepretation left in. I definitely understand people reading it twice and things making a lot more sense (&seeming more intentional/clever) the 2nd time around. I've not bothered to do this but can see how the dialogues take on a new dimension of meaning in restrospect.

I've heard the audiobook is the best way to consume this. I think it would aid better understanding of the ending.

the_escapist's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

kyanite's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

haunting, chilling, mindfuck

laylashine_hey's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book is really good and keeps you hooked! Lots of triggers in the book so look out for that if you need warnings. The ending is very hard to follow, but overall made sense in the end. I would give this 5 stars but the ending is a little difficult to understand. 😁

goobertk's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” Slow burning and confusing, taking place over the span of 1 evening, this book will have you questioning things the entire time. is the main character being treated poorly? is she being gaslit? what is going on? why isn’t he telling her anything? why won’t he listen to her? those are all questions i had while reading this book. those questions didn’t get answered until the very end. it’s a very quick read but the slow burn aspect will make you wonder how long you’ve actually been reading. the conversations the main characters have can be incredibly dull and boring, but it really is kind of like that in a relationship. not every conversation is going to be interesting, and not every conversation you have will be interesting to others. this book ends sort of the way that the outsiders does, but that isn’t necessarily as clear, so i recommend that once you finish, you go back and re read the first couple pages. maybe even just the 1st page could be helpful, it really ties the story together completely. the imagery was unsettling and the story telling was great. all in all, 3.5/5 just because i was confused for a lot of it and it was too slow for my liking. but it is a good and suspenseful read good for a spooky season one-sitting book or even a cold and comfy evening when you’re in the mood to be unsettled.

murmurations_x's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

When I originally picked up this book months back I couldn't get into it whatsoever and I left it unfinished. I picked it up again purposely seeking out autumn thrillers and horrors for October and I couldn't put it down this time, I was actively looking forward to my commute to keep reading.
Spoiler I wasn't finding it particular unsettling until the high school, and oh my that imagery of the care taker crawling along the floor was so eerie and potent from then I was even more hooked. Though I did find myself a little underwhelmed by the twist ending, granted it was executed masterfully I just was hoping for a different direction for the ending.

I think I would of rated it higher but I found the driving to the parents house chapters too drawn out - intentional maybe?, the house sequence too short, but the ending sequences were fantastic, the horror elements here were superb and eerie in a way a book as not made me feel in quite some time. It's a quick read too.