Reviews tagging Animal death

I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

kellylikestoread's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

kyanite's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

haunting, chilling, mindfuck

laylashine_hey's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book is really good and keeps you hooked! Lots of triggers in the book so look out for that if you need warnings. The ending is very hard to follow, but overall made sense in the end. I would give this 5 stars but the ending is a little difficult to understand. 😁

goobertk's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” Slow burning and confusing, taking place over the span of 1 evening, this book will have you questioning things the entire time. is the main character being treated poorly? is she being gaslit? what is going on? why isn’t he telling her anything? why won’t he listen to her? those are all questions i had while reading this book. those questions didn’t get answered until the very end. it’s a very quick read but the slow burn aspect will make you wonder how long you’ve actually been reading. the conversations the main characters have can be incredibly dull and boring, but it really is kind of like that in a relationship. not every conversation is going to be interesting, and not every conversation you have will be interesting to others. this book ends sort of the way that the outsiders does, but that isn’t necessarily as clear, so i recommend that once you finish, you go back and re read the first couple pages. maybe even just the 1st page could be helpful, it really ties the story together completely. the imagery was unsettling and the story telling was great. all in all, 3.5/5 just because i was confused for a lot of it and it was too slow for my liking. but it is a good and suspenseful read good for a spooky season one-sitting book or even a cold and comfy evening when you’re in the mood to be unsettled.

murmurations_x's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

When I originally picked up this book months back I couldn't get into it whatsoever and I left it unfinished. I picked it up again purposely seeking out autumn thrillers and horrors for October and I couldn't put it down this time, I was actively looking forward to my commute to keep reading.
Spoiler I wasn't finding it particular unsettling until the high school, and oh my that imagery of the care taker crawling along the floor was so eerie and potent from then I was even more hooked. Though I did find myself a little underwhelmed by the twist ending, granted it was executed masterfully I just was hoping for a different direction for the ending.

I think I would of rated it higher but I found the driving to the parents house chapters too drawn out - intentional maybe?, the house sequence too short, but the ending sequences were fantastic, the horror elements here were superb and eerie in a way a book as not made me feel in quite some time. It's a quick read too.

dizzyindecision's review against another edition

dark mysterious

I feel similarly about this book as I did about the movie adaptation: I really wanted to love it but was ultimately disappointed. I definitely prefer the book over the movie though.

oneinamilli's review against another edition

dark informative mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

abigailkokitus's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

❗️ This review contains spoilers ❗️

Frankly I wish I’d read this before seeing the movie. I went into the book already knowing the twist at the end. However, it was incredibly well written and unsettling and I’m glad I read it regardless. I actually think I like it a bit better than the movie. In the movie there’s a focus on Jake’s feelings of failure/lack of success contributing to his suicide, whereas in the book the main reason for him committing suicide is that he has reached the point where he can no longer endure being alone. I really felt for Jake as a character too. I felt sorry for him, and also like I could empathize with him. One thing that was a bit confusing to me was trying to determine how much of the story was what was in Jake’s notebooks, and how much was “real life”. I think that when Jake saw the janitor in the window of the school was where the notebook story ended, because it was like reality was bleeding into his fantasy, which explains why he was so upset and angry as well. Overall super thought-provoking and interesting. I will probably read it again.

nitnatbug's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

witchycowboy's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I'll be real ... I didn't like this book up until close to the end.
This story starts out slow and starts building tension that never really fades until the end. Sure it lowers at times, but that urgancy is never really fades away.
As far as plot, its weird. Both in good and bad ways. There really is no was to explain without spoiling the whole book. It's a quick read, so if you like lots of dread and buildup I think you'd enjoy this story. Just don't go into it thinking that things will be blunt or in your face.