A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles

dina9195's review against another edition

challenging funny inspiring reflective slow-paced

mombond's review against another edition

Such a great story. A new favorite.

country_art's review against another edition

This is not what I was expecting and I mean in that in the best of ways. This book is very much a slice of life. It's not overly plot heavy, the historical elements are a backdrop but serve little purpose beyond than the passage of time. There is no political message, no overarching message. It's just a journey through life of an aristocrat that has been put under house arrest and about how he goes about finding meaning in his life in the hotel he resides in.

The world building, characters, and how they are presented are what made this book a masterpiece.

Admittedly, some parts could come off a tad pretentious but to me these served to compliment the personalities of some of the characters in question. However, you are forewarned if that is not your thing. So don't be surprised when there is overly flowery dialogue about wine and other things of the sort.

With that said, I highly recommend it.

randomly's review against another edition

lighthearted reflective medium-paced

drsdon's review against another edition

One of the most enjoyable books I've read this year. Towles' book begins shortly after the Russian Revolution where a man, Alexander Rostov, who is the aristocratic gentleman referenced in the title, is "sentenced" by the new government to house arrest at the Hotel Metropol in Moscow. His crime - belonging to the aristocratic class; he is spared a more gruesome fate due to an inspiring poem he wrote earlier that celebrates the common man.

From here, we get glimpses into his life at the Metropol, and its host of characters - the chef, the seamstress, and so on - over the course of the next thirty years or so. The book is a beautiful exploration of his character, as we see how he grows and changes, but how certain core elements never change. There is no overarching narrative in the book until the last quarter or so, but even so, the book is compelling to read, chiefly because Rostov is such a compelling and fascinating character.

In addition, the book is so compelling because Towles writes so beautifully; there truly is not another word for it. There are times when reading his descriptions of places, or the observations of Rostov or another character, that one can't but help to marvel at his use of language.

It's the type of book that once you get done reading, it reminds you of why you like reading so much.

lesliejerkins's review against another edition

Same narrator as my beloved Remains of the Day, the audio version is impeccable. I can’t help but think the audio performance caused me to downright love this novel.

diacruz's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

stern_klee's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

xkay_readsx's review against another edition

Great book. The ending was just wonderful and unexpected.

jrt_lit's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced