Reviews tagging 'Gun violence'

A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles

lipstickitotheman's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful reflective slow-paced

I didn't think I'd like listening to this! However the pov character, narrator, and audiobook reader made this tiny world so lovely. He's so charming and charmed by the world. I think normally I would find this kind of book a bit boring. But because Alexander finds such delight in "little things" and the world and people around him, it's fun and exciting and interesting to experience with him.

His relationship with his daughter truly made me cry. I cried over how much they love each other. I cried when his
Spoiler best friend died
and he cried because
Spoiler he said that the last of those who knew him when he was young was dead

stellarheroics's review against another edition

challenging funny hopeful reflective slow-paced

pershie13's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

I've had this book on my TBR for years, and let me tell you it completely exceeded the already lofty expectations that I had for it! A Gentleman in Moscow follows the journey of Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov, who is living under house arrest in Bolshevik Russia shortly following the Russian Revolution. Set in Moscow's Metropol Hotel, we follow the Count's relationships with guests and employees at the hotel, as well as how he reacts to the circumstances of living out his life in one place. The evolutions of these relationships and circumstances throughout the years are fascinating and will leave you constantly guessing at what will happen next. The book is beautifully written, both in its prose and its content, and I found myself connecting with numerous characters from all walks of life. I can certainly add A Gentleman in Moscow to the shortlist of one of the best books I have ever read, and I look forward to reading Amor Towles' other works. This book is simply a masterpiece.

naomi_k's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

keeganrb's review

reflective fast-paced

phoehems's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

There are many things about this book that I love. I love the writing style: it's so immersive I could probably draw a map of the Metropol. I love the characters, especially the relationships between them: the Triumvirate, the Count and Nina, the Count and Sofia, the Count and Mishka (I think that's his name. It's his bestie) and the Count and the Bishop have some of the most intense moments. Even the Count and the man on the roof! I love the story:
SpoilerA man, house arrest in a hotel, rebuilds his life. Makes lifelong friends in Andrey, Emile and the others. Has a special relationship with a then-nine year old, who then gives him the chance to be a father. Raises a beautifully rounded daughter who goes on to fulfil her dreams. And in the end, the house arrest is broken and the book ends with the Count going back to his childhood town, going to the pub and seeing the 'willowy woman' in the corner, who in no doubt is his daughter.
It's just beautiful.

keishag's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

fray_myst's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective relaxing

Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov has been sentenced into exile in his own country, in Moscow at the Metropol Hotel. For writing a poem that has revolutionary sentiments. Here, we witness 30 years of history through the eyes of the count, visitors, colleagues and friends that visit the Metropol. From the fall of the aristocracy to the 1950s. It's almost a story about nothing.

A Gentleman of Moscow has that almost meandering, dreamlike storytelling where the paragraphs seem to go off on a tangent about some some subject or the other. With some real life Russian historic events woven into and around the narrative. It stumbled a bit in pacing around the 3/4th mark of the book, as the events suddenly turned glacial. Though every bit crucial to what was to come.

The overarching theme is "adaptability". How these characters live and find a way to navigate Russia that is both familiar and unknown. The count's godfather himself once told a young Alexander, in a lifetime ago:  if a man does not master his circumstances then he is bound to be mastered by them.

gloomi_sundai's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted slow-paced

it took me so long to read cuz i went weeks even months without reading so i cannot give an honest review but i did throughly enjoy it and i think i will love it more when i reread it in ten years