Reviews tagging 'Blood'

A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles

lipstickitotheman's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful reflective slow-paced

I didn't think I'd like listening to this! However the pov character, narrator, and audiobook reader made this tiny world so lovely. He's so charming and charmed by the world. I think normally I would find this kind of book a bit boring. But because Alexander finds such delight in "little things" and the world and people around him, it's fun and exciting and interesting to experience with him.

His relationship with his daughter truly made me cry. I cried over how much they love each other. I cried when his
Spoiler best friend died
and he cried because
Spoiler he said that the last of those who knew him when he was young was dead

stellarheroics's review against another edition

challenging funny hopeful reflective slow-paced

pershie13's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

I've had this book on my TBR for years, and let me tell you it completely exceeded the already lofty expectations that I had for it! A Gentleman in Moscow follows the journey of Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov, who is living under house arrest in Bolshevik Russia shortly following the Russian Revolution. Set in Moscow's Metropol Hotel, we follow the Count's relationships with guests and employees at the hotel, as well as how he reacts to the circumstances of living out his life in one place. The evolutions of these relationships and circumstances throughout the years are fascinating and will leave you constantly guessing at what will happen next. The book is beautifully written, both in its prose and its content, and I found myself connecting with numerous characters from all walks of life. I can certainly add A Gentleman in Moscow to the shortlist of one of the best books I have ever read, and I look forward to reading Amor Towles' other works. This book is simply a masterpiece.

domreadsb00ks's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective slow-paced

When Count Rostov is put in front of the Bolshevik court after the October Revolution, accused of being an unrepentant aristocrat, it is only a revolutionary poem that he wrote in his youth that saves him. Instead of being shot, he is sentenced to a life of house arrest. A terrible fate - except it is to be carried out in the luxury hotel that has been his home for a long while already.
This book spans decades. And I truly mean it; when we first meet Rostov he is a young man in the prime of his life; when the book closes he is much, much older. This timespan, with well-paced chapters each focussing on a different year, allows us to truly witness his character transformation, not only in the physical sense, but within his mind, his thoughts.
The writing is beautiful, the world imagined perfectly. Subtlety is key for Towles, and you only truly grasp what you have read at the close of the book. All the characters are real people, fleshed out and woth personalities that actually matter to the plot, as do their conversations with Rostov and eachother.
Overall, it is a slow-burner, which makes for a reflective read, exploring human nature and the beauty of chance encounters. The reader is rewarded at the end of the book though with a
Spoilerspectacular