Reviews tagging Sexism

Kindred, by Octavia E. Butler

uyeb's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

this book is such a complicated thing to give a rating to, especially since i read it for school, but i will say what i do know: this is amazing. it’s powerful, and painful, and disturbing in the very specific way of knowing that this is effectively a true story (just with a little time travel). it’s also written incredibly- i annotated it for ‘powerful language’ in pink for school because we’re supposed to and every page has at least one underline or highlight or comment in pink if not five of them. basically i mean octavia butler has a very amazing writing style. there were a lot of times i just had to put the book down and sit there. the time travel is also great (? that word doesn’t really apply here ever but i just mean it’s cool as a concept and how it’s used) but my favorite thing is the codependent and complicated nature of dana and rufus’s relationship. i neither have good words to describe it nor do i want to add spoilers but i think that dynamic morbidly fascinating and brilliantly written. i don’t really have a lot of coherent thoughts about everything else but just know it’s perfectly done. i don’t think i would’ve read this book if not for school but i really am glad i did. if this is any indicator of how ap lit is gonna be then i’m excited. top tier of school books if not the best one so far.

booksandchocaholic's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

I want to start out by saying that Octavia E Butler is a phenomenal author and is generally underappreciated in terms of both her incredible books and her contributions to the genre as a whole. This book is a literary science fiction novel and it fully embraces both genres excellently. We are following Dana, a Black author in the 1970's as she is repeatedly taken back in time to save the life of her ancestor, a white slaver in the 1800's. This book tackles of course race, morality, gender roles and everything I have come to expect from Butler and in her usual style it does so in a way that allows the reader to think and feel. Butler does not tell you what to think, there is no lecture in her stories, she allows you to draw your own conclusions which I think is an excellent way to convey a message. I also found her characters to be very believable and nuanced which in a story depicting such harrowing times in history it was quintessential to my investment in the novel. Overall, I have nothing but praise for this author and fully intend to read through her bibliography.

marthadude's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

whitenoiz's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad medium-paced

chicowriter's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

ninabina's review

adventurous dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

taylortut's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

soderick's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious sad tense fast-paced

miayukino's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

It’s always interesting to confront a time travel story from further in time. It tends to feel like a youtube comment section where everyone’s saying “10 years later and I’m still watching.” Specifically, there was a part where Dana says she can’t imagine what she would think if a person from 2019 came to visit her. As a person who’s lived through 2019, that gave me a little chuckle.

jellolord's review

dark medium-paced

The plot of this book was incredibly captivating (far more than I would have expected from the first chapter or two) which always left me wanting more. (perhaps not surprisingly) the commentary in this book is still incredibly relevant today--it does a wonderful job of conflating the racism of early 19th century America with late 20th century America. Dark book, but what I would call pretty essential reading.