There's No Way I'd Die First by Lisa Springer

thissagreads's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

A campy, VERY gory horror YA book, that was only based around the “chase”. The story could’ve used a lot more character development and backstory. I can’t say that I was totally disappointed, but I wouldn’t read this book again. A bit too YA and the book felt a lot longer than it needed to be. Once I finished the book I sighed with relief, and unfortunately I’m still wondering if this book was a total waste of my time.

chiog's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

mentalvoid's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

jessamichellexo's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

This book is basically a Scooby Doo episode with a terrible ending.

vixenreader's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

It’s a slog to get through for the middle section and there have been better movies that have done this lot. Still, there’s a lot of small perks, such as the leading lady, the horror movie trivia, and some commentary on wealth and shame.

torivica's review against another edition

fast-paced

sprout_monster's review against another edition

• There are a lot of horror movies references that are maybe a bit of a spoiler. For me it was mostly just annoying because now I feel like I have to watch tons of horror movies just to read a horror book?
  • I feel like this book could've used more editing. It's was a lot of tell not show and then the same things would be told over and over again and it was generally very repetitive and would reintroduce things multiple times (instead of just slowly adding more details about it, it introduces it like it's a new concept multiple times). Also there were a couple paragraphs that didn't really make sense. It just felt like something written multiple times and Frankensteined together without being edited afterward.
  • It didn't feel realistic. Idk anything about a rich highschool but I know normal highschool is nothing like this. Also it's a party with only like 10 people in an assumedly huge room dancing and this is more fun than dancing in an actual crowd?? That sounds so awkward and I can't imagine anyone picking going to this small party rather than a huge actual party.
  • Going on and on about luxury brands and including the specific shade name of lipstick used???? I get they're rich, but it's annoying and unrelatable to repeat these brand names like they mean anything to people without a fashion hobby or old money.
  • The crush is so cringey and it's weird how it seems the author is trying to make the guy an AH but also shy, it's confusing. Are we supposed to want them together or not?
  • And are we supposed to like the main character? Because I don't think I do. I mean she's only "friends" with these people to get more followers and is pretty judgy.
  • It's filled with that cringey part of being a teenager.

jk15's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

destinyyyzz's review against another edition

mysterious tense slow-paced

the start draws you in but then it feels like things just start happening for no reason...the motives for the characters don't seem to justify why they would go this far. All of this just because some rich people bought their way through life?

It felt like there was supposed to be a bigger story but it just wasn't. One of the most disappointing reads of the year because I was happy to see a non-genric black FMC (aka weird black girl) and she ended up being the most annoying character...

thenycbookwhore69's review against another edition

I really tried to like this book but omg was it so repetitive. Every 5 sentence it's " I'm A FINAL GIRL I CAN'T DIE", and it's like if you're that girl...... you are that girl. No need to tell me 1000x in 304 page book. How are you a final girl, but you can't kill a crazy clown is who trying to murder you and your friends. Talking about "I'm no killer" please abeg, shut it. Overall it was a boring read, very repetitive, and very cliche.