Reviews for Dear Justyce, by Nic Stone

sofialister's review against another edition

i watched NC's story on insta and it breaks my heart to think about the process of writing this. quan is so darling and i loved his story, although its so poignant to think of the amount of people that had to rally behind quan for things to work out in his favour, and how rare that really is

coley_cole37's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

porchrailreads's review

dark emotional reflective tense fast-paced

First, I need to once again thank @nicstone for sending me this copy of #DearJustyce.
This hit hard and required me to do a lot of reflecting.
I can’t review this without providing some context.
I teach 4th grade in a school that serves mostly BIPOC students. I have a past career in youth services running programs for teens “in the system.” I’m Hispanic. I was raised by a single mother. I had people who believed in me and I’ve always tried to be that person for all of my students.
My first year of teaching I also taught a college level course at a medium security prison to a group of men who were mostly BIPOC.
I saw Quan. I know Quan. I taught Quan. I’m still teaching Quan.
Dear Justyce is the follow up to the bestseller #DearMartin. Where Dear Martin followed a kid with hope and with support, Dear Justyce follows Quan, a kid in prison (again).
Quan knows he’s made mistakes, and he’s not one for making excuses, but he’s also fully aware that he had no other route to go because he had no one else’s support. We see this when his teachers accuse him of cheating instead of celebrating him. We see this with his mother who views him as a burden. We see this at every turn in Quan’s life. When he does find support, it’s with the wrong crowd.
Brilliantly written, flawlessly told, Quan’s story is one every educator needs to read. If you have even one student or color in your classroom, I need you to understand just one tenth of the obstacles that the BIPOC community faces.
Nic’s clearly done her research. Her discussions on the inequities within the criminal justice and juvenile justice systems are spot on. Her commentary on the need for even just one person as a positive influence is spot on.
As an educator, I try to be the teacher I needed when I was younger. And I would’ve been honored to have Quan as a student at any point in his story.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5
Do yourself a favor. Read both Dear Martin and Dear Justyce.

craw13's review

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

sallynoble's review against another edition

This book is a must read for everyone. I finished it in a day but will be thinking about it for years

thenewsgal's review

emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

alittleoverdue's review against another edition

Five raving stars from me! I cannot recommend this five-star read highly enough. The story is a sequel to Stone's "Dear Martin", but you can absolutely read this story without having read the first book or it's been awhile. This book is told from the perspective of Quan, in a series of letters to Justyce (the protagonist of "Dear Martin"). Quan recounts the circumstances that led to his incarceration for a crime he didn't commit. This book takes a searing look at systemic racism, the imperativeness of having someone in your life looking out for you, hope, and redemption. Side note: we all need a Doc in our lives. Other side note: Nic Stone is on fire - three books out this year alone!

**Thanks to NetGalley for a free e-galley of this book in exchange for an impartial review).

sanjariti's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad tense medium-paced

hhk's review

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

kayten18's review