Reviews for Death at Wentwater Court, by Carola Dunn

nightskiesdark's review against another edition

This was only "ok", the lead character was likeable enough. Not enough period detail for me, and it hasn't made me keen to go out and buy the rest.

becca_todaro's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

More enjoyable than a typical cozy mystery but it definitely shows that it was written during the 90’s

craftmomma55's review against another edition

This was a perfectly charming and clever light-reading novel. I will probably be reading more of her novels.

cgbart's review against another edition

3.5? very fun, although the sudden resolution whirlwind sort of knocked me sideways.

veronica87's review against another edition

A comfortable enough historical cozy with likable characters, most notably the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple who hasn't let drastic changes in her family's fortunes get her down. The mystery behind the murder was interesting enough but failed to find traction as the mystery is eventually solved through confession as opposed to any specific sleuthing. The ending also was a bit of a disappointment due to my feeling that the author let everyone off far too easily. Or maybe I just like a bit more darkness in my murder mysteries. All that said though, I did like Daisy and the Chief Inspector from Scotland Yard so I plan to read a few more books in the series to see if more substance develops.

lifefullofwords's review against another edition

4 stars

A strong start to the series. I love Daisy! This kind of series needs a strong, likable protagonist. I thought the mystery was good though not amazing. Country house mysteries with messed up families are my favorite so I loved that aspect of the novel. I liked the love interest and the romance too, which is good because I assume it will be with us for the rest of the series. All in all I am excited to keep reading!

jinxy's review against another edition

This started out as a promising cozy crime, but I had some problems with the ending.

kbigler's review against another edition

This was such a fun book. I really enjoy mysteries that take place during this time period. I listened to this on Audiobook and I thought the narrator was very engaging. I loved Daisy's characters and enjoyed the other characters as well. This mystery takes place in a country house and only a small group of people are suspects in the crime. This is one of my favorite set ups because I enjoy figuring out how the author lays the clues down. I will be listening to the second book soon.

mohogan2063's review against another edition

Carolina Dunn was the first author I ever met. I saw her at a signing in Eugene, Or and later at Powell's Beaverton. Her books are sweet and nice to read.