A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, by Roseanne A. Brown

sayer4180's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

arsinoes's review

not gonna lie, the only thing that kept me interested was karina. that’s my gf! malik was unbearably annoying and i could not care less for him. karina can get a kiss though!

kenzie_writes's review

3.5/5

sydney_arcuri's review against another edition

5/5 stars
I loved this book so much! I really enjoyed how mental health was explored within this book, and how well it tied into the climax of the story. I cannot wait for book 2!!

itsellie's review

If this weren't a buddy read I would not have subjected myself to such torture.

szga's review against another edition

I need the second one asap

_persephone_'s review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

the world building was done beautifully, i loved karina and malik both, they had very well fleshed out personalities, opinions, and backstories. my only big complaint is that i felt like karina and maliks relationship was a little lacking, they didn't even meet until over 200 pages in, which i could easily forgive but even when they did there wasn't much going on there, they had a fair amount of chemistry but im a bit of a romantic so it just wasn't enough for me personally.

iforgotilivedhere's review

When are people going to realize that Malik is not a "soft boy" but a boy who has intense anxiety because of the toxic things he and his family has gone through his whole life? He has complex PTSD and intense anxiety. You guys are just rude and don't know how to understand his mental health. And as a male and seeing male mental health rep be explored in this way makes me happy. Thank you.

bookswithagemini's review

Thought about it and decided to change my star rating a little bit!

For a debut I must say this was a pretty decent book! I thought the main characters Karina and Malik had strong and defining personalities. I also do really love when there’s a strong female character and a soft boy to compliment her. And Karina embraced her inner bad bitch towards the end!

That being said I do think the pacing in this story was a bit off for me. It was slow in the beginning and really didn’t pick up for me until the 200-300 page mark. And while I loved the main characters I felt like their character arc/motivations kept changing and not adding up which led to some confusion. Their goals seemed to be constantly changing, which isn’t bad, but was clearly defined or said in writing. I also didn’t really like the insta-lovey trope between the main characters... mainly because they really didn’t spend that much time with each other before they realized they were “in love”

What I will say is that I really LOVED the ending! It was super intense and left me wanting the second book, so I will for sure be picking that up! For a YA debut though I really enjoyed this story! I just wanted a little bit more of everything...characters, plot, pacing and the romance of course!

400luxx's review against another edition